Transplanting grapes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transplanting grapes.

Ok, I have one really old vine in the ground, and 8 in pots. 6 of the potted ones are from cuttings last autumn from my unknown variety, the other 2 are from woolies, cabernet sauvignon and a sauvignon blanc. Can I dig up the large vine to move it in the autumn, or is it stuck where it is? Also should I plant the potted ones out for the summer? I would end up moving these in the autum/winter if I did.
    David
    Wine making noob

You may move the big vine, but not in the Autumn, the vine needs to be in its dormant phase so either December or January would be best, get as much of the roots as you can when you dig it up, and be careful not to damage them, so as long as you take care when you are doing it it should be fine. Don't water it in like you would a plant.
    Don't be surprised if it doesnt fruit next year though.

regards
    Bob
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 19-05-2008, 03:15 PM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by SpudtheBinx View Post
      Also should I plant the potted ones out for the summer? I would end up moving these in the autum/winter if I did.
      Plant the ones in pots out now, give them a real soaking after you have planted them.
      regards
      Bob
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

David,

Good news and bad news. The bad news is that grapevines don't take very well to transplanting. The good news is that they are very easy to propogate from cuttings. The best time to do this is in early spring while the vine is still dormant. You can take one or more cuttings from the original vine, nurse it in pots with loose, moist soil until it begins to root and push buds, and then transplant the rooted cutting to its permanent location.

Here's an article that explains in further detail:

Hope this helps.

Steve
        Steve

Comment

I agree with Steve,

The bad news is that grapevines don't take very well to transplanting.
          I've experience of this also. In winter 06 I had to move some Himrod and Schuyler vines which were in half barrels into open ground. Summer 07 growth was poor to say the least. In winter 07 I cut them back to 3 or 4 buds on one-year-old wood to let them start again this year. I should have done that as soon as I moved them

The good news is that they are very easy to propagate from cuttings.
          I've done this many times with about 95% success rate. Make sure there's one or two buds under the soil surface as that's where the new roots grow from. A greenhouse is good to give them a start. Make sure to label the pots. You WILL forget!

Chris B

Comment

Working...
          X