2008 yield/I might have some grapevines to give away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 yield/I might have some grapevines to give away

Hello everyone (particularly in the south of the uk)

Last year I planted some Rondo vines here in Southampton. I bought some spares and potted them up in buckets where they've been quite happy. Last year all the ones that I planted out survived and most put on a good few feet of the single shoot I let them grow. If they show signs of life later in the spring then I won't need the spares. The vines came from the Vinehouse and are grafted on to SO4 rootstock.

All being well, I'll have about 6 to give away if anyone is interested, let me know. I'm posting this so you can think about the space you'll need to grow them . Despite what the experts say, I'd suggest 2 metre spacing. As Bob says they are vigourous growers....

I can't advise what weight of grapes you'll get per plant in a few years' time as I've got no experience with this variety. In general, grape yield can be significant in the right site/conditions. eg our house faces South at the front and I have a 5 year old Boskoops Glory trained across the front of the bay window. The idea was it would shade the lounge a bit and give us the dappled sunlight effect. Given last years abysmal weather in the Summer, what we got was a dark green lounge . Despite the poor weather, I was amazed to get 28 pounds of grapes from this one vine. It's trained along a 3 metre trellis in a sort of triple Guyot; about 10 shoots per metre run. Final Brix wasn't as high as I'd like at 20; I should probably have thinned it a bit, but the wine is coming along ok . For comparison, I was getting the odd pound or so from my other vines (Regent, Queen of Esther, Siegerrebe, Phoenix)

I wound up with about 35 pounds of black grapes after sorting/destemming which made me three gallon demijohns

Chris
    Last edited by chris_b; 24-01-2009, 12:54 PM.

Top banana

Im hoping to keep the blooming birds off mine this coming season

so aggravating to net them and the birds still take them!

thats a very kind offer Chris

regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Hi I'm a bit far away from you but interested in grape where did you buy your vines !

Comment

I get mine from here

great service, nice people keen prices (for 25 or more)

www.thevinehouse.co.uk

please tell them you got their contact details from here....
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Thanks I found your link to them on another thread & dropped them a line. Is anyone else experienced in growing vines in Leicestershire ?

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
            Top banana

Im hoping to keep the blooming birds off mine this coming season

thats a very kind offer Chris

regards
            Bob
            If you do find a sure fire way of keeping the b*ggers off, please tell us all.. as my small crop was visited by the blighters last year.
            Visit my Gold Panning Blog

Comment

Originally posted by kmoorman View Post
              If you do find a sure fire way of keeping the b*ggers off, please tell us all.. as my small crop was visited by the blighters last year.
              I'll get a shotgun and then it's £8.50 an hour between 0800 and 2000 and time and a half for nights.

Time and a half for saturdays and double time sundays

regards

JtFB
              Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                You must have some right smart birds over there. I've been netting mine for about 4 years now, and I don't think I've lost more than a dozen berries total in all that time.

Or maybe my grapes just taste bad.
                Steve

Comment

Working...
                X