Château Lockwood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Château Lockwood

Well I now have most of the trellising system built for all the grapes to grow on.

25 new Rondo planted
    16 Reichensteiner going into their 2nd year
    14 Rondo in 2nd year...they don't look particularly healthy but bud burst will tell....they weren't planted in the best location really, i planted them last spring, and didn't take account of the leaf cover from the trees (DOH!) so they spent a lot of time in the shade. have pruned the trees heavily, hoping for better growth this year.

The three vines (of unknown variety have been ruthlessly pruned right back.....I was really scared, but read lots and lots and lots before tackling the job.

and the 1 vine of unknown origin that was growing on a latticework trellis at the bottom of the garden and was huge has also been hacked right back.

Also bought 1 pinot noir and 1 chardonnay vine...to be grown in large pots in the greenhouse.

also planted out two blueberry bushes and two thornless blackberry bushes (Black satin....a U.S. variety that is an early fruiter and has vigorous growth)

trying to track down some Fantasia blackberries, apparently discovered on an allotment in Kingston upon Thames, and grows fruit the size of a 10p piece (about the size of a dollar) no luck yet, but if any of you know where to get them please let me know.

these to go alongside the two gooseberry bushes, two raspberry bushes and the thorny blackberry bush planted last year hoping for bumper crop of soft fruit this year.

Also pruned the apple, damson, plum, apple and pear trees right back to try and get better fruit.

last years planting of cherry pear and plum trees should fruit this year too.

Hoping to get the peach trees (2...quite large) to ripen its fruit fully too, it grew loads of fruit last year but they didn't ripen. It's possibly because (more reading) they blossom really early, before the bees and such like are around to pollinate them properly, so I've been round with my little soft brush pollinating them myself (what a busy little bee...lol)

must get round to taking photos. spent the last three days working in the garden. managed to get a little bit of a tan.
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 17-04-2006, 12:47 PM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

See it Hereand Here
    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Pinot noir click HERE

Chardonnay clickHERE
      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

sounds like you've been busy...

I think youve earned yourself a drink

Comment

tried

for the blackberries you want? maybe they can get hold of them for you

Comment

Thanks for the link

I've emailed them to ask

cheers
            Bob
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Cannot believe how well these vines have grown this year........

Pic of main area dated 17th April 2006

N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

This is the vines at 8 pm this evening

The top wire is at 6 ft

I have had to extend the 8ft canes....a couple of the vines now stand at 10 to 11 ft
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

And Reichensteiner vines planted in 50cm pots on our new Pergola

Last edited by lockwood1956; 01-08-2006, 08:30 PM.
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Alternative view of vines

N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Looks like im going to be able to treat these as third year vines next year

WHOO HOO

should have a small crop, along with the reichensteiner and others that were planted in 2005 which will fruit next year also.....

Crushing/destemming party in 2007 anyone?
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Nice stuff!

What's Reichensteiner?

Comment

Its a hybrid.........

German in origin

Accession ID: 10004
                          Accession name (Variety): REICHENSTEINER
                          Species: V.VINIFERAPedigree: MUELLER THURGAU X (MAD. ANG. X CALABRESE)Synonyms: GEISENHEIM 18-92
                          Holding Institution(s): AUS 01; BGR 01; CAN 02; CAN 03; CHE 01; CHE 02; CZE 01; DEU 01; DEU 02; DEU 03; DEU 04; DEU 05; DEU 06; DEU 10; FRA 01; FRA 03; HUN 01; HUN 03; NZL 01; YUG 02; ZAF 01
                          Country of Origin: DEU
                          Berry Length: 16.0
                          Berry Width: 14.8
                          Color of Berry:
                          Color of Skin: 1
                          Color of Flesh: 1
                          Single Berry Weight: 2.33
                          Utilization: Wine

Last edited by lockwood1956; 01-08-2006, 09:05 PM.
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Also Growing Rondo

Accession ID: 14308
                            Accession name (Variety): RONDO
                            Species: V.VINIFERAPedigree: SAPERAVI SEVERNYI X SAINT LAURENTSynonyms: GEISENHEIM 6494-5;GM 6494-5
                            Holding Institution(s): AUT 01; CAN 03; DEU 02; DEU 04; DEU 10; ITA 03
                            Country of Origin: DEU
                            Color of Berry: Black
                            Utilization: Wine
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Oh man, those black ones look like wonderful wine grapes!
                              REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Working...
                              X