Colorado grapes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorado grapes

I live north of Denver. The local nursery sells niagra vines, but I really want Chardonnay or Merlot. I'm thinking about 6 to start along the fence. Plenty of sunshine around here, but the temps drop way down in winter at times. I've read that the western slope of the state has success with these two varieties. Half of my backyard is bare dirt at this time. I've got room for as much as 24 vines along the fence. The soil is mostly clay and I have added manure blend and sandy fill to start. I have the pipe and water set for irrigation and have tilled the soil a few times. I don;t know if this will work but we're gonna give it a go and hope for the best. I remember growing up my father grew concord grapes along his fence back in California. They were small but packed with flavor. Birds were a big issue there.

Good luck, jojo. Birds will be a big issue with any small fruit crop. Rubber snakes help. A couple trained falcons would also help.
    REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

I want to grow grape vine"s"(not singular) also, but around here it can get -20 degrees, And I also want to cross breed, but anywasys before I grow grapes I want to taste Many different wines(And Look(sence) not read at different Grape vines) so I have a better Idea what I want to cross breed.

I just thought I'd add ---- If you Want to test your soil, and make more adittions you could get one of these http://www.raintreenursery.com/catal...ProductID=T496

I had some rotted cuttings, but My neices pulled them out twice even after I moved them where they never realy go to try to hid them.

ARe you going to grow somthing on American rootstock for phyloxera resitence?
      Last edited by jlsherman55; 02-08-2006, 07:48 AM.
      http://www.myspace.com/kramus

Comment

Comment

Wow jojo

you are much younger than I thought!

lol

Balistreri winery near you in Denver, grows Merlot....see if they will let you have cuttings maybe

regards
          Bob
          Last edited by lockwood1956; 18-09-2006, 02:26 PM.
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Cool. Been cleaning out stables? Just dirt?

Love the old Datsun. I had an old grey Mazda similar to that and the biggest mistake I ever made was selling it. Good little truck.

Looks like you have a good helper there!
            REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

That's my son Sam LOL. A visit to the local dairy for some of the real stuff - nitrogen rich compost. Underlying form for what may be raspberry bushes. We'll see.

It's a 1980 720. It's worthless but sure comes in handy times like this.

Comment

Worthless? Looks to be earning it's keep!

Several ways worth measured can be, young Jedi.
                REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Originally posted by Hippie View Post
                  Worthless? Looks to be earning it's keep!

Several ways worth measured can be, young Jedi.
                  Indeed. I must clear my mind master.

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                  Balistreri winery near you in Denver, grows Merlot....see if they will let you have cuttings maybe
                  I did speak with Julie at B. about cuttings. She said to waiting until May of next year would be best. It's a hit and miss in town and most of their grapes are from vines in Palisades, although the Denver vines have been getting some good luck in recent years. If I can't pot or plant it makes more sense to wait it out. Plenty of ground work to finish. Interestingly, Julie said the biggest obstacle here is watering in winter. It's an arid cold, but the vines better survive if they are watered regularly (once a month or so) through the winter months. I think I'm gonna call her back for some Merlot cuttings come May.

Comment

I think that would be wise. If you lived here, you would wait until november through january and plant bare root plants as long as the ground is not frozen. Some folks will wait until february or so, but the others will have a head start as the roots grow all winter, believe it or not.
                    REBEL MODERATOR

Comment

Have you had any of the wine from Balistreri?

I loved the "little feet Merlot"

and John's Port is pretty special too
                      N.G.W.B.J.
                      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I haven't had any of it but sure would like to get some.

Comment

Working...
                        X