Pears

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pears

I have 2 bushells of pears. I was going to juice these to make some wine and was wondering if it's okay to juice the skin and seed and all or do I need to peel and core them? Thats ALOT of pears Perhaps if I do juice them like that just not add any tannin? I know you're not supposed to use the seeds and the skins but I'm just trying to save myself some work. I think I'll make a 5 gal batch of just pear and a 3 gal batch of some apple/pear blend(with just some all natural apple juice,not from concentrate). I think I have about 50-60 # of pears if not more.

I suppose If you Put them in a Juicer It catches the Pulp.
    Im pretty sure thats one Bail.
    Im not sure If perry is with Honey I might Of gotten the wrong Information, but I Know it Involves Pure Pear Juice.

Are you Planing on Using Added Sugar Or Not. --- I would try to Keep the SG Low, but thats just Me.

You could try Freezing Some I froze Some apples 35 Lbs, and They are as soft as Apple sauce, but I don't Plan on using them for Wine Acually Im eating 3 soon when thawed trying to make room in our frezzer.(Taste good to Me)
    http://www.myspace.com/kramus

Comment

I wouldn't add tannin at this stage, it can be added later if you feel the need.

regards
      bob
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

IF you thought I mean't frezzing and not Juicing Then I didn't

But If thats You decision I don't think It's a bad one

I mean't Freeze, and Juice.------------- For Cider Apples They let the fruit Sit For weeks To A month So A thumb Print can be made into them ----And the starches turn into sugar,

but thats for Apples ---- I not sure About Pears(Should be the same) If you look At the Link Page LookWood Posted a Link.----- Maybe you could Email Somone on A cider Page, And ask.----- Acually I Might, because I know where About 10 tree's are---- And I would rather use Natural sugar--- Too Bad I don't Have a Press juicer Or steam extracer.

Comment

Here it is again

Andrew Lea is a god in the cider making world

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...a/content2.htm
          N.G.W.B.J.
          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Here is a Process This Guy used. ------
            It didn't Say He Removed the Cores in his juicer.

Copyed from A link, On THAT Cider Link

It said this In the second link.
            "First pick your pears. They should be fully ripe (see the discussion above on the importance of this point) without being over-ripe. The pears should be left for a period of 2 days to 1 week depending on variety. This period is critical for the production of good perry"
            It did say If you Want to Use wild Yeast Don't Wash the Pear's, but I disagree Somwhat.

In cider apples If you Wash the apples Their Is still Wild Yeast That Is Inside the Flower, but studies HAve Shown That - That is The wild yeast(Aureobasidium pullulans, Rhodotorula spp., Torulopsis, Candida, Metschnikowia, and Kloeckera apiculata ETC.) that Are around that early, and that Ferment only up to 2 to 3 Percent, but can have good Characterists, and you could always Add A Sachet of yeast Or other fruit grown in the country.(If Moquetoe sprayers are a problem)

Comment

Good then. Will have to do that recipe then

Wrote Andrew lea and he wasn't much help. He's more of a traditionalist when it comes to cider making.

Comment

Working...
              X