Cab Franc clone #1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cab Franc clone #1

My 25 Cab Franc #1 arrived yesterday from Inland Desert Nursery, a vine supplier to large growers in the Yakima to Walla Walla area. http://www.idnursery.com/ourvines.html A friend is taking the majority as I hardly have room for ten, which I planted between my existing vines. Their first test is of course to get through our winters, but Cab Franc #1 is reportly hardy. The pix doesn’t do justice to how many and how big are the 2 year old certified plants. I saved one small vine to slice off a few buds for experimenting with T-bud grafting on some of my Limburger vines which I’m not satisfied.

While I was taking pictures, I also took a shot of the veggie garden - I have a large flower garden in front which I’ll start a few hundred plants in a week or two. I quit starting tomatoes and other plants as it’s easier to buy them and my garden area keeps getting smaller.

The garlic I planted last October is just coming up a few inches and I planted a few rows of onions the other day, still pretty early for gardening and digging the holes for the vines today was a muddy job. A couple of years ago I was planting about a ½ acre of garlic a couple miles out where a friend let me use the land, but I was supplying garlic for all of the neighbors, family and friends in what was intended as a money making venture, ha ha - now we’re down to just the two of us, so this generally keeps us in garlic until July, just about the time to harvest.
    Attached Files

It will be interesting to see how the grafting goes, I have a couple of very mature vines (one in a greenhouse and one outside that produce eating grapes, i was thinking of trying to graft onto them with the cuttings from my Cabernet that I am planting this year (in the greenhouse already in pots, hoping for them to root)

If I remember right you have grafted before Jimmy yes?

regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
      If I remember right you have grafted before Jimmy yes?

regards
      Bob
      Yes I've done quite a few grafts on fruit and nut trees, so just about everything growing here, has a different variety shoot out of it. Both the Fuji and Yellow Delicious have grafts from a Red Delicious, long removed, I planted more than 30 years ago. One of my six filbert nut trees has a corkscrew filbert, which for years since I've been trying to take the grafted corkscrew and root layer with no success, but trying again this year.

As far as grapes I've never been succesful, but armed with new info I hope it works this year. Slicing a bud off these two year old vines might be a task, well vigous they are of small diameter and I'm going to graft that on to 10 year vines. The trick I believe I missed is keeping the grafting bud vines in the refrig until the sap is really flowing on the vine to be grafted and it's warm. Then making flow cut, maybe two, beneath the graft. So anyway I don't expect I'll try this until late April. I hope to take pix. A lot of stuff on the internet, but personal hands on experience related sometimes is better.

Comment

DAR - Great looking garden and the root development on the grapes looks terrific. The vegie garden and flower garden sound exciting and the grafting of grape vines is interesting. The garlic sounds delicious and it sounds like there is a Hugh supply and that there is never a problem of going short.

I also have a small vegetable garden each year and use a lot of flowers in planters for the annuals. I have a great many perennials growing throughout the garden many that are not supposed to be growing in this climate. I have a number of cherry and apple trees that are getting established and many berry plants (raspberries, blueberries, gooseberries and also a mulberry bush) that I use the extra berries in my fall wine making program. I am also experimenting with grafting with the apples and cherries. I have two apples om M26 root stock that I got from CO nurseries (both in Washington and BC) that I have been growing for --will be the 5 summer and I am sure hoping that this is the year that they will be producing their first fruit. By the looks of each there are a great many spurs on each of the trees and I am sure that this will be the first spring for apple and cherry blossom together (except for the others that are ahead and have been blooming and producing fruit). I am trying grafting these less hardy apples and cherries with hardier cultivars to see how that works. This is a great time of the year for us gardeners keeps me active for the next 6 months. Cheers -- Good luck on your plantings this season DAW

Comment

Originally posted by StockeyDAW View Post
          I have two apples om M26 root stock that I got from CO nurseries (both in Washington and BC) that I have been growing for --will be the 5 summer and I am sure hoping that this is the year that they will be producing their first fruit. By the looks of each there are a great many spurs on each of the trees and I am sure that this will be the first spring for apple and cherry blossom together (except for the others that are ahead and have been blooming and producing fruit).
          I know C&O out of Wenatchee- about 1983 they were experimenting with grapes vines and we bought a lot of the grapes, not vines, for wine making. We were either inexperienced or the grapes were lacking and my neighbor and I, and he does imagine this, still have gallons of this 24 year old rot gut in his basement, which he always tries to spring on me after a glass or two of good wine and a cigar. A lot of wine and vine activity now in that area but I'm not sure C&O continuted with grapes. Well I guess you know what the fruiting buds look like, so if you have some bees and the right weather you should have some fruit set. I thought you were in Eastern Canada, but it sounds like your up in neonotfrench country.

Comment

DSR- I am not going to say exactly where I am located but it is approximately 6+ hours driving from your home base depending what highway I take and what pass I go through. I have been along the freeway from Massoula (sp?) into Spokane and also from Seattle and through the border south of Osoyousse (sp?) a number of times. Those grapes that you talk about from C&O nurseries do not sound very good! I have catalogues from 6 years ago of C&O's and there is no indication of them selling grapes at that time.

The reason I got the fruit trees from C&O is that they have both an office in Wenatchee and Oliver BC and this way I do not have to worry about any of the Import details as they take care of all of that. It can be a great hassle when trying to import plants from the USA to Canada and I would think the same way from Canada to the USA.

I got two special apple trees on M26 rooting stock (dwarfing) because I want to try and graft these to a hardy McIntosh that I already have growing in the garden. I have saved some of the trimmings from the recent pruning and are waiting in the fridge for the appropriate spring weather. Cheers-- so close but yet so far? Have a great growing season DAW

Comment

DSR- I am not going to say exactly where I am located but it is approximately 6+ hours driving from your home base depending what highway I take and what pass I go through.
              Late Sunday and a lot of work outside in the garden and I’m trying to finish a revision of a family history and it turns out I'm related to everyone, ha ha. Then the wife wanted to view a website put up for our granddaughter on myspace and there was no sound, it may take several days to figure out what or how she muted the sound. But in your post I saw something that made all of my annoyances fly away and I laughed myself silly. Why it struck me funny I have no idea, tired probably, but - Southern Canada? Wouldn't that be an oxymoron? Well I guess if you live in Whitehorse it’s like down south aka Florida.

Comment

Being the true smart-alec I am......

If you said you are from South Washington, I would also laugh myself silly!
                REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Originally posted by Hippie View Post
                  Being the true smart-alec I am......

If you said you are from South Washington, I would also laugh myself silly!
                  Originally posted by Dead Squirrel Running View Post
                  Well I guess if you live in Whitehorse it’s like down south aka Florida.
                  Oh my I wonder what ML Woosie would say? He might say no points for reduncy. Funnier might be Northern Arkansas, it's all the old south.

Comment

Oh my I wonder what ML Woosie would say? He might say no points for reduncy. Funnier might be Northern Arkansas, it's all the old south.

Hey lads I use the Southern Canada oxymoron because many do not realize the distance between north and south Canada. Try travelling from say the border of British Colombia and Washington State to Dawson City in the Yukon (Dawson City is the location of the Gold Rush of approximately 1898 period). The driving time doing approximately 8 hours per day is at least 5 days and then if we were to try and drive the distance to down in the warm land of Arkansas that would be another 5 days. This is no small land in which we reside. There are a lot of culture differences in those distances but nearly all seem to enjoy a glass of wine or beer. "Southern Canada" is as near as I can get to the great growing conditions of many of the areas in the USA and try to tell myself that I can grow things even along the Canada - USA border. Cheers all - good growing. DAW

Comment

Hey lads I use the Southern Canada oxymoron because many do not realize the distance between north and south Canada. Try traveling from say the border of British Colombia and Washington State to Dawson City in the Yukon (Dawson City is the location of the Gold Rush of approximately 1898 period). The driving time doing approximately 8 hours per day is at least 5 days and then if we were to try and drive the distance to down in the warm land of Arkansas that would be another 5 days. This is no small land in which we reside. There are a lot of culture differences in those distances but nearly all seem to enjoy a glass of wine or beer. "Southern Canada" is as near as I can get to the great growing conditions of many of the areas in the USA and try to tell myself that I can grow things even along the Canada - USA border. Cheers all - good growing. DAW
                      All good fun. I know the area because my uncle was killed in a crash in 1943 on one of those lakes in the Yukon.

Last year my neighbor took the trip for about 6 weeks on the old highway. Another of my Uncles while in his 80's took the trip and came back down through Alaska and ferried home, took rolls and rolls of film with a defective camera, ha ha. Got to go modern and get a digital. I'm educating my neighbor and he's got a new digital with a 2gb memory card and is driving up again and then into Alaska and then a group trip to the Artic. The Alaska state fair was enough for me in September, heck high traffic - I thought I was in LA again, but beautiful sunsets, just hanging and hanging out there, but it was getting chilly.

Comment

All good fun. I know the area because my uncle was killed in a crash in 1943 on one of those lakes in the Yukon.

Last year my neighbor took the trip for about 6 weeks on the old highway. Another of my Uncles while in his 80's took the trip and came back down through Alaska and ferried home, took rolls and rolls of film with a defective camera, ha ha. Got to go modern and get a digital. I'm educating my neighbor and he's got a new digital with a 2gb memory card and is driving up again and then into Alaska and then a group trip to the Artic. The Alaska state fair was enough for me in September, heck high traffic - I thought I was in LA again, but beautiful sunsets, just hanging and hanging out there, but it was getting chilly.
                        Oh no those old cameras will do it to ya - especially the Eos? ones my old one that was my partner during my hiking time. I now have a digital one at least you can see if it is working or not and the results are generally terrific.

And the darkness was probably starting to creep in... My experience was in the middle of summer no darkness at all - a sort of red sunset for an hour and one half. man the vegetables like that extended daylight - they grow them Hugh there. I love the north - "Robert Service" and all but the warmth down here has something going for it. DAW

Comment

Working...
                        X