• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming along nicely

Three rows of Rondo
    Attached Files
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Right you are!

Looking good and healthy!

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
      Three rows of Rondo

Looks like they are really coming around. Do the large trees block the sun and cause some growing concerns. I would say that there should be enough grapes on them for some grape wine - approximately what is the length of each row. I am not familiar with the Rondo grape - not grown around my area as far as I know. Are the vines now in their third summer? Will this be the first year you have gotten grapes off of them. Cheers DAW

Comment

Yup Daw

third summer it is, and looking forward to a crop this year.

the trees are to the west of the vines so they get the sun for most of the day
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

What are the Rondo grapes like Bob -- red or white; are thy specifically a British grape developed there? sorry I just have not hear of them before. DAW

Comment

They are a pinot noir clone

very very vigorous

yum scrum
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Thank you Bob-- just checked the Internet with this link,, DAW

Comment

Interesting thing -- I just saw a TV program of a winery in Whales and growing grapes there and also I knew that there were grapes in the far south west? - Cornwall? but did not realize there was actual development of various cultivars there. Thanx DAW Cheers!

Comment

Rondo

here is a pic of the berries
                  Attached Files
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Wow looks like the Valiant grape that I have growing in my urban garden - I have two plants that give me approximately 10-15 pounds of very tart grapes that I use in my blending. I have them growing over the arbor in the back yard.

I am looking forward to the pictures you sen of the wine that is made from the grapes. DAW

Comment

Bob,

Your vines look wonderful! Keep up the good work.

Daw,

There's a guy in my area who makes grape juice from a blend of valiant, bluebell, and something else. Excellent flavor.

Steve
                      Steve

Comment

Steve

That would take a taste bud that likes very tart - acidic things. I freeze the valiant grapes and I suppose use them like elderberries; adds that something and color to a berry or blueberry wine. I never have enough with only around 10 pounds to try and make valiant grape wine but I think by themselves the acidity may be unbearable? Cheers Steve Daw

Comment

Bloody weather

Have been out among the vines pruning and weeding, I'm soaked, but I thought I would carry on and get the job finished.

Then a flash of lightening and a very very very loud bang simultaneously, (must have been reeeeeaaaaaaaal close) sent me scurrying for cover.

Rain stopped so took some photos, I'm a bit worried by the lack of sunshine available for the last 6 weeks, it's rained almost constantly, but apparently it will be a nice August (I'm thinking I may need 22 hours sunshine a day in August to get brix levels up!
                          Attached Files
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

So determined not to lose a day through rain, I tidied my winemaking area.

Tired now....need a lie down
                            Attached Files
                            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

And racked the 06 sangiovese into barrels (20l and 50l)
                              Attached Files
                              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                              X