Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning for the winter

Hello all,

I am just in planning stages for the winter, and want to bring in some of my annuals inside (herbs, etc) before the first frost comes. They are currently in my vegetable garden, and they are doing well, and I'd like to keep them for next year. Has anyone done this before? What do I need to know/do?

Thank you very much in advance!
    Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
    Twitter: VirtualWineO
    Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Not that i know that much about the subject, but it seems that maybe you should pot them up and still leave them outside for a while and then move them in, so they are gradually being acclimatised to their new surroundings

But I'm sure someone on here will have the knowledge to give you a more definitive answer

regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Annuals, by their very nature, are short-lived. They're 'designed' to flower, produce seed and die in one year. You may be able to keep some on the go for a little while, but it would be better if you saved seed and sowed them in pots. You may not have too much luck as warmth and day length have a part to play. However, it's worth a try. What herbs were you considering trying this with?
      Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Predominantly sage. Maybe Basil. I was moderately successful with my oregano last year (until my pets chewed it down to the root), but quite honestly, I don't really remember what I did with it to get it to grow.

Thank you Bob for your response. That sounds reasonable and logical.

Comment

Sage if I remember correctly is a hardy perenial and should be left where it is, infact it's a fast spreader so plenty of space is good for a better crop next year. as for basil and oregano I'm not sure, never grown them
          Last edited by Duffbeer; 30-08-2007, 06:34 PM.
          Discount Home Brew Supplies
          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
          National Wine Judge
          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Danina View Post
            Hello all,

I am just in planning stages for the winter, and want to bring in some of my annuals inside (herbs, etc) before the first frost comes. They are currently in my vegetable garden, and they are doing well, and I'd like to keep them for next year. Has anyone done this before? What do I need to know/do?

Thank you very much in advance!
            Mam is right on for the annuals. Try to get seeds from each plant that you enjoy; save them labeled in an envelope until the next indoor - greenhouse planting season. Then you can start your own plants and will not have to purchase in the spring. Some annuals will self seed in the garden and survive through the winter to germinate next spring.

For the sage there are more than 900 species of sage from garden sage to the great saliva's (same as sage) which are the hummingbirds favourite. Many of the sage are perennial in the suitable climate - depends on how cold it gets in the winter.

Many herbs can be grown indoors so that you can have them for your kitchen use during the winter. Rosemary, basil and others can be treated that way. They will require adequate light and humidity and a certain temperature to get through the winter indoors, but it can be done.

Suggest you get your hands on some gardening books fro the local library and read all the information of the net. There is a lot to know. Cheers amd good luck on your venture. DAW

Comment

See....

I knew people would know better than me
              Last edited by lockwood1956; 30-08-2007, 09:11 PM.
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Culinary sage is a hardy bush, as is rosemary. Keep both well trimmed to prevent them getting woody. Oregano should survive overwinter in the garden. Mine does in West Wales. Basil is not hardy and should be treated as an annual. Hope this helps.
                Last edited by Mamgiowl; 30-08-2007, 11:07 PM. Reason: Blooming typo - again!
                Let's party

Comment

Mam yes sage is hardy Zone 5 for North American standards approx minus 30 degrees C much colder than what you folks encounter. As indicated they are short lived therefore are likely to come back for more than four years? Maybe yours are different. The sage blossom is very attractive to insects and many of the Saliva's a just outstandingly terrific flowering plants. As I mentioned the Hummingbirds are crazy about the nectar in the flowers in these plants. I guess that you are not fortunate to have the little Hummers visiting gardens there. Cheers DAW

Comment

Thanks very much for the info!!!

Oregano did fine last year outside (I took one inside and left the other outside), so I know that one is fine where it is. The sage, I lost. But it might have been because I didn't mulch it well enough. I doubt it's hardy. I have tricolor sage and pineapple sage, both are doing well now. I was just wondering if it was worth to try to repot and keep, for a bigger yield next year. My thyme last year died on me when I took it inside, hence the question.

But this is wonderful advice. I will try to keep everyone abreast of what happens.

Thank you again!

Comment

Originally posted by Danina View Post
                      Thanks very much for the info!!!

Oregano did fine last year outside (I took one inside and left the other outside), so I know that one is fine where it is. The sage, I lost. But it might have been because I didn't mulch it well enough. I doubt it's hardy. I have tricolor sage and pineapple sage, both are doing well now. I was just wondering if it was worth to try to repot and keep, for a bigger yield next year. My thyme last year died on me when I took it inside, hence the question.

But this is wonderful advice. I will try to keep everyone abreast of what happens.

Thank you again!
                      You may have a sage that is not one of the hardy ones. Pineapple Sage and the variegated one are not of the hardy variety and it is odd those are surviving and the other one is not. It cannot be of the garden sage cultivar. With 900+ different cultivars difficult to say for sure what you have. Suggest you look for one of the garden sage cultivar outlined in the above link - you will have success with that one. In the mean time with your old one do not cut it to the ground in the fall (square stems and the cold has a way of entering the root system. As you said mulch well to about one 1/2 meter above ground level with some straw tucked in nicely and you may get it through the winter. You should also do this with the other Pineapple and variegated ones. May I also suggest trying one of the Autumn Sage (saliva's). One of these has great cardinal red trumpet flowers. It blooms from beginning of July through till frost. There are so many to check out many are just being studied and assessed; lots of these are from the arid country of Mexico, Texas and the high ground in Peru and Colombia. I guess with all the rain and wet conditions it will make these types of plants difficult to grow there unless you can provide excellent drainage through out the year. DAW

Comment

Take cuttings of anything you're a bit worried about. In the meanwhile, harvest lots of leaves, chop finely and freeze in ice cube trays (Or plastic egg boxes). Much nicer than drying them as they taste nearly as good as fresh.
                        Let's party

Comment

Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
                          freeze in ice cube trays (Or plastic egg boxes).
                          That sounds interesting... Any reason why to do it this way, and not to freeze them in a plastic bag?

Comment

It makes it easier to use smaller quantities. After the cubes are frozen you can put them into a bag and just take out one or two as needed. (Use only a small amount of water in the tray, just enough to hold it all together when frozen.)
                            Let's party

Comment

Working...
                            X