Thread for questions and discussion on new winemaker series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uuuhhhhh Ohhhhh

As you know.. I made wine number 2 a few weeks ago...

Obviously I have been keeping an eye on it.. and it has cleared fantastically.

The only problem I have... I know once I bottle it, it will look like a dark rose
    Is this normal ??
    I dont deem this as a problem..... I just thought it would be more "red" iykwim

On a different topic..
    I bottled both my wine number 1's tonight..
    Both the apple and the pineapple

Chuffin Nora... Bl00dy Fab glass they both are.
    The apple is certainly a dryer wine.
    But the pineapple one, although slighly sweeter, is incredibly drinkable also.

Up early in the morning to start the whole process again
    Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

• Don't worry about the colour, you won't get a deep red using this type of recipe. The main thing is it turns out right and you learn from the process. I made a gallon of wine using 4.5L of Lidl grape juice and that turned out like a dark rose.
      National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

• You can't taste the color !

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

• Ok.... Thanks guys....
          I just thought I might have done something wrong

Comment

• Inspired by this thread I have just put a wine number 1 on. I used a hydrometer to get the sugar content to 1.
            082 and Bob's suggested amount of 1.5lbs in the recipe was spot on.

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Comment

• Originally posted by spritzer View Post
              Uuuhhhhh Ohhhhh

The only problem I have... I know once I bottle it, it will look like a dark rose
              Is this normal ??
              I dont deem this as a problem..... I just thought it would be more "red" iykwim

On a different topic..
              I bottled both my wine number 1's tonight..
              Both the apple and the pineapple

Chuffin Nora... Bl00dy Fab glass they both are.
              The apple is certainly a dryer wine.
              But the pineapple one, although slighly sweeter, is incredibly drinkable also.

Up early in the morning to start the whole process again
              That pineapple one sounds lovely. How long did that take you from start to finish? I think I may give that a go next.

Someone on freecycle has just offered me 4 dj's so providing they don't live too far away I may take them up on the offer.

Thanks for directing me to this site, it's great!

Totally addictive, can't wait to get some more wine on the go.

Think I may try the Summer Fruits one by Dave next too.

Comment

• Originally posted by sb44 View Post
                That pineapple one sounds lovely. How long did that take you from start to finish? I think I may give that a go next.

Someone on freecycle has just offered me 4 dj's so providing they don't live too far away I may take them up on the offer.

Thanks for directing me to this site, it's great!

Totally addictive, can't wait to get some more wine on the go.

Think I may try the Summer Fruits one by Dave next too.

I started the pineapple one on 9th Feb....
                It would have been ready sooner.. but I was just too busy, to sort it out
                I followed Bobs basic Wine number one recipe to the letter... and I added a teaspoon of pectulase also. It is 10.5%.

The Apple one is lovely.. and more to my taste, because it is drier. It is 12.2%

I had hoped to get some more started this morning, but got side tracked.. so hopefully tomorrow, I will have some more on the go...
                Going to try Grapefruit next

I also bought some Tesco own version of Ribena today... 2 for £2..
                So will try Mamgiowls Ribena wine too.
                Off to look for Daves summer fruits wine now

And yes .. You are right... It is mega addictive
                But there is worse things you could be addicted to, so it doesn't make us bad people

Comment

I started the pineapple one on 9th Feb....
                  It would have been ready sooner.. but I was just too busy, to sort it out
                  I followed Bobs basic Wine number one recipe to the letter... and I added a teaspoon of pectulase also. It is 10.5%.

The Apple one is lovely.. and more to my taste, because it is drier. It is 12.2%

I had hoped to get some more started this morning, but got side tracked.. so hopefully tomorrow, I will have some more on the go...
                  Going to try Grapefruit next

I also bought some Tesco own version of Ribena today... 2 for £2..
                  So will try Mamgiowls Ribena wine too.
                  Off to look for Daves summer fruits wine now

And yes .. You are right... It is mega addictive
                  But there is worse things you could be addicted to, so it doesn't make us bad people
                  I've just made 1 gallon of Dave's Summer Fruits, it smells lovely.

Because I bought a 1.5ltr carton of cranberry, the half litre extra plus the others left from the Summer Fruits recipe means I can add them to the tesco red grape I happen to have in.

So, that will be another gallon on the go.

Blimey, that's 4 gallons of wine and a gallon of turbo cider and a new number one tomorrow.

I said it was addictive and I haven't even finished any of these yet so don't know if they are going to be any good or not!

Comment

Uuuhhhhh Ohhhhh

Is this normal ??
                    I dont deem this as a problem..... I just thought it would be more "red"
                    Bob has just taken a prize in the medium rose class with his, I think that is a good indication of colour and quality.

Comment

• Originally posted by Richard_S View Post
                      Bob has just taken a prize in the medium rose class with his, I think that is a good indication of colour and quality.
                      Yeah... I seen that on the wine number 2 thread
                      That is good news..Congrats Bob
                      Will be bottling mine tonight
                      And have the stuff to start some more

Carole

Comment

Yeah... I seen that on the wine number 2 thread
                        That is good news..Congrats Bob
                        Will be bottling mine tonight
                        And have the stuff to start some more

Carole
                        So how many bottles or equivalent will you have in the pipeline now then Carole and where are you going to keep them all?

Sharon

Comment

• I have dedicated a kitchen cupboard to the bottled ones...
                          But I think I am going to get a few of the wine racks from Argos, and put some in the spare bedroom...
                          And just keep the kitchen cupboard for the quaffing wines
                          To be honest.. I need a better routine.... and not have sooo many ready at the one time iykwim.
                          But I am working on it
                          Carole

Comment

I have dedicated a kitchen cupboard to the bottled ones...
                            But I think I am going to get a few of the wine racks from Argos, and put some in the spare bedroom...
                            And just keep the kitchen cupboard for the quaffing wines
                            To be honest.. I need a better routine.... and not have sooo many ready at the one time iykwim.
                            But I am working on it
                            Carole
                            I think I know what you mean.

Although I've only just started you get a buzz out of seeing them start bubbling, then you have a sniff and like the smell so you want to do another one straight away.

I keep thinking well, we are never going to drink 6bottles in a week when youv'e got work to go to the day after. So I should make a gallon every fortnight then we have 3 a week but it hasn't been working like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by sb44 View Post

I keep thinking well, we are never going to drink 6bottles in a week when youv'e got work to go to the day after. So I should make a gallon every fortnight then we have 3 a week but it hasn't been working like that.

Nooooooooo...

You want to ramp up the production.... When the production is much more than the consumption, you can start stashing some in the shed/garage/spare room then in a year or so can crack open 'an old one' for a change!

If you've taken good notes, you can then make another batch if it's good.

I've been lucky with consumption in my house being halved since last July, but I'm sure it'll be back to normal soon!

Also, a wine rack with 100 or so bottles in looks really good!

Rich

Comment

• Originally posted by Rich View Post
                                Also, a wine rack with 100 or so bottles in looks really good!
                                Full bottles look even better

Comment

Working...
                                X