No announcement yet.

Thread for questions and discussion on new winemaker series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks Rich, just removed a little water from it after seeing that it had allready knocked the top off slightly and overflowed a touch!

Hmm, i think i prefer the old bubbler airlock, but aslong as it serves its purpose i cant moan lol

Comment

• Originally posted by 5thElement View Post
      Got a couple of these "handy airlocks"

Is it just a case of adding water into the main bit around the tube the gas escapes, then putting the top on it? i guess i'll find out if it starts bubbling in the morning lol just cant see how it works like a typical airlock!
      These have the advantage by being quiet bubblers, but they do not last long, the grip on the lid soon becomes worn and makes them pointless. Stick with the big bold bubbler it won't let u down
      Discount Home Brew Supplies
      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• I agree, the 'bubblers' are much better, especially if the lid gets knocked off. (Easily done) You've got no protection at all then. Plus the water evaporates much quicker with these.
        Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

• Well folks, I don't get it. I have used these pretty much exclusively for years and I haven't the first trouble out of them. I keep them half full of water during fermentation, vodka during bulk aging. Mine actually have a pointed end with 4 holes in the point.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

• Originally posted by Hippie View Post
            Well folks, I don't get it. I have used these pretty much exclusively for years and I haven't the first trouble out of them. I keep them half full of water during fermentation, vodka during bulk aging. Mine actually have a pointed end with 4 holes in the point.

Ditto.... Exactly. I love them. They are much easier to clean, too!

Virtual Wine Circle & Competition Co-Founder
            Twitter: VirtualWineO
            Facebook: Virtual Wine Circle

Comment

• the ones we get here are a flimsy two part bubbler, and are not as good a quality as the three part ones available stateside.

regards
              Bob
              N.G.W.B.J.
              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• That explains it then
                Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

• Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                  These have the advantage by being quiet bubblers, but they do not last long, the grip on the lid soon becomes worn and makes them pointless. Stick with the big bold bubbler it won't let u down
                  I would. I prefer the S shape bubblers, but the cupboard I'm putting my DJs in is too low for them to fit so I have to use these type

I do have a couple of the glass s types which I use for the initial fermentation (put the DJs on the side for a bit ). They have a very nice "bloop" sound, even better than the plastic ones. Strangely enough it seems to wear off after a few days even though the bubble rate stays fairly frequent. They're practically inaudible after a week.

Comment

• I've been patiently (!) watching my Wine #1 for a few weeks now, and it's looking clearish. I started it off just over three weeks ago (Mar15, SG was 1.086), then racked it last Thursday (Mar27, SG at 0.998).

It's getting clearer slowly, and I believe I need to wait for the SG to be the same reading for three days in a row. The thing is that it's still bubbling away quite quickly - about a bubble every 8 seconds or so. Is there any point me even checking the SG? I was thinking that it might be better to wait until the bubbling has really slowed down as surely the SG will still be dropping right now?

Is this sensible, or should I have been checking it all week?

One more thing. I topped it up really close to the bung, probably about 1-2cms, and now there are bubbles on top of the liquid that are touching the bung. Is this a problem, and should I have left a little more room?

(As suggested I tasted it when I racked (in fact I had a small sip every time I checked the SG), still quite apply and still more like juice than wine, but tasty nonetheless. It's surprising how entertaining it is to watch tiny bubbles shooting upwards in the liquid )

Comment

• It will be fine.......

leave it be till it stops bubbling

regards
                      Bob
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• That's the kind of instruction I can follow - do nothing!

Thanks Bob

Comment

• sorry....forgot to add.....

open a bottle....then do nothing,
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• hi im just brewing a pear, apple and white wine.. not sure if its a wine or a turbo something!!.. my question is i pitched the yeast in powder form (a cider yeast) but then put the dj on the aga to warm a bit but forgot about it and it got really warm overnight.. will it kill the yeast (there's nothing happening yet) and if so can i just put more yeast in and will it be alright..

Thanks for any advice..
                            To err is human.. to drink divine...

Comment

• The heat may have done the yeast some harm, if that is the case, once the must has cooled you should be able to add more

.........there may be other reasons for non starting (the yeast would have to have gotten quite hot to kill it) what are the starting numbers S.G temp acid levels....more information will yield a fuller answer....leaving it alone for 24 hours may also yield results, the yeasties are quite resilient, and you have to work really hard to kill them.

But if you do add more yeast you would be better served making it up as a yeast starter before pitching it, rather than just chucking it in....this will always give you a more sound ferment, and lets you see that the yeast is indeed viable before you pitch it.

see tutorial section for info on yeast starters

regards
                              Bob
                              Last edited by lockwood1956; 03-04-2008, 08:01 PM. Reason: removed "snippy" comments (had a word with myself!)
                              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• whoa.. touched a nerve there!!
                                I must say I not really sure what difference is between turbo style cider (or other fruit juices) and the no.1 wine or other recipes that are about. They are all fruit juice sugar and yeast!! i probably over simplifying it there but is it only wine if it is high alcohol or if it is grape based? I noticed on this forum (which is just as helpful as the other forum that you denigrate) you are quite anti turbo but I think it is the way a lot of people get started and introduces a lot of beginners to this winemaking hobby. My friends all love TC but because it is a bit easy I do find I want to try other types of wine. I sure you experimented a bit before you knew what you were doing!! I still too new to know what to do to achieve a desired result so i tend to do something and see if I like it!
                                Anyway to this brew:-
                                it was 2 jars of pears in wine juice that I bought to make a perry (turbo style.. god forgive me!!)
                                1 litre of white grape juice (thought that would make it a bit like no. 1)
                                1 litre of apple juice (ditto)
                                1lb of sugar
                                Og was about 1080 but because i liquidised the pears it was a bit pulpy so was not sure how accurate this was. I don't have a way of measuring acidity but decided not to add any citric acid (as per no.1) just to see what it tasted like. I put some pectalose in then waited 24 hours and added cider yeast in powder form and put it on the aga. Next day (today) it was too hot and nothing happening. I have now made a yeast starter with other half of pack of yeast and as nothing is still happening I think I will pitch some in as the yeast starter is ok. Thanks for your help.

Another question now.. when is a wine a wine? Is it pure juice? Does it have to be grape? Can you add sugar or water? Is it the method that determines what it is? I know thats more than one qusetion but you get the jist of the debate here. Just because the french say wine is pure wine juice fermented, does that make everything else wrong?

Andirou
                                To err is human.. to drink divine...

Comment

Working...
                                X