No announcement yet.

Thread for questions and discussion on new winemaker series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• you may not be in as much trouble as you think....

what is the SG?
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Its sitting at sg 1.125

Comment

• Have I goofed ?

Made the wine, then looked at recipes.....ooohhh....ooohhhh.

2 ltrs Welsh's Grape juice (tesco)
        1 ltr Blackcurrant Nektar 25%juice (Liddle)
        1 kilo sugar
        1 teaspoon each pectolase, nutrient,Youngs Super Yeast.
        S.G.reading 1140

All made up to 1 gallon.

Will it work ?

Ian.

Comment

• SG is too high, which may result in stuck wine

1.080 is a better start SG (add water to reduce to this) you dont want too much alc in this type of wine

i moved your question to here "questions and discussions on new winemakers series"

keeps the new winemakers area clutter free so it is easy for necomers to navigate
          regards
          bob
          Last edited by lockwood1956; 20-08-2012, 05:34 AM.
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• OK It's now down to 1080.
            Now have 1 1/2 gals to ferment !
            Every cloud has a silver lining !

Ian.

Comment

• N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Hi and thank you

Although not new to winemaking - was heavily into it in the 80s - have just restarted it as I am now retired. Been lurking for quite a while without posting. As some one said on a recent thread wine making has changed a lot since the 80s - and how.
                Thanks to all experts and mods for all the info that I have spent the past the few weeks reading and getting me back into the hobby.
                Anyone know of any wine circles in the Crook (County Durham) area?

Comment

• Hi Sam and welcome! I don't know about wine circles but was wondering what wines you have done? WN1 and WN2 are great!

Comment

• HI used to live up there and there was a club called Fatfield and Vigo (near Birtley Services on the A1M ) but I've googled it and it's now called North Durham so give these people a try http://www.wand.me.uk/
                    But it looks more wine tasting than brewing. All the best
                    Life would be better if I could brew it as fast as we drink it!

Comment

• done a couple of kits ( just to get a stock going) a cheap wilko kit and Beaverdale Merlow, a piesporter kit and still on the go a 10l wine made from my gooseberries from the allotment. Just experimenting to get my hand back in. Forgot how much I used to enjoy doing it... and of course drinking it too.

Comment

• My first batch of wine No. 1 has now fermented out. I'll be racking today. My question is, can the wine be left in fairly cool temperatures to start to clear? I only have space for a couple of DJs in the house and I'd like to get this outside to the garage. This time of year it's probably 15-18 degrees day and night.

Comment

• That will be fine.
                          Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Thanks Goldseal. Looks like I may be able to start a second wine no.1 off without arousing suspicion

Comment

• Hi everyone,

Completely new to wine making and have a #1 and a #2 on the go (thank you Bob!). I've just found out that I'm going away with with work on 17th and will be back on the 24th.

The #2 was only started on the 10th so I guess should be fine but I'm not sure what to do about the #1, which I started on the 4th. It's been on for 9 days and the SG is 1002. I guess I'd be racking it and adding the sulphite solution early next week. I could do so on Sunday (16th) or I could leave it until I'm back on the 24th. Alternatively, I could rack it but not add any sulphite solution on the 16th (to remove the sediment), and then re-rack it and add the sulphite solution on the 24th.

Any advice here would be very gratefully received!

Had a taste of it will taking the SG. It tastes like wine now with a fizzy/tangyness like you get with wheat beer, which I guess is a good sign for a still-fermenting wine. Hope it's OK, it's all very exciting in any case.

J

Comment

• I would probably suggest rack and sulphite before you go away.....all should be good

regards
                                Bob
                                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                                X