No announcement yet.

Thread for questions and discussion on new winemaker series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I would have thought sterile filtering is the way to go.
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• To answer your question literally. You will need to pasteurise it, but I think a better understanding of what you're trying to achieve, like the guys have mentioned might come up with a better answer
      Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Originally posted by malcmackenzie View Post
        Hi Bob

To cut a long story short I want to try fermentation by osmosis. In short the yeast does not go into the wine to ferment. However if there is any yeast left in the base wine that comes back to life then the experiment could mislead me as it will look as if the yeast has managed to get into the wine.
        I am not sure that is possible, although happy to learn otherwise.

the only way to be sure there are no yeasties left would be as Pete states, Sterile filtering and you would need a membrane filter to be sure, a paper filter (even one that filters to 1/4 micron) is not a guarantee they will all be gone

so how do you see fermentation by osmosis working?
        regards
        bob
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• I agree with a sterile filter, but I do think pasteurised will be much cheaper and easier to achieve the same end.

fermentation by osmosis...
          Okay now you've piqued my interest. What are you using to contain the yeast? Presumably this is a very fine membrane something- that is in the must, and the yeast is in that? What is the experiment intended to prove?
          Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

• Folks, this is going a bit off-topic. Interesting though. Can I suggest you start a new Topic for this please? Ta.
            Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
              Folks, this is going a bit off-topic. Interesting though. Can I suggest you start a new Topic for this please? Ta.
              OK .... will do.

I will pasturise and then start a new thread reporting my progress and findings.
              Malc

Comment

• Malc. Thanks for this I am really interested to understand what you are trying to achieve and how we can learn from that.

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                  I have had some batches of WN1 clear on their own, some have required Kwik Clear, and some have required other treatments.

My first suspicion would be that it's a pectin haze (apples are high in pectin). I would draw some wine off, dissolve 2 tsp per gallon pectolase in it, and stir back into the wine. This will stir up the sediment again, but don't worry about that - the finings should cause it to drop again.

If that doesn't work, I would try bentonite.
                  Hi Goldseal,
                  I added 2 tsp of pectolase and it cleared a bit, so then I used some vin clear and it dropped crystal clear.

Thanks for your help

Comment

• Good stuff.
                    Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Just bottled my first batch of Wine No 1, one white and one rose, well pleased with the results. Three more underway.
                      Cheers for the tutorial. Great site for virgins like myself.
                      Dave

Comment

• labels

Hi Folks
                        I am sure it's already on the site but I came across this site, looks good for wine labels

http://freelabelmaker.com/beverages/wine/

Dave

Comment

• well I left my wine number one for a long time its now crystal clear, bottled; with the first bottle already gone. A very quaffable drink and I have some rhubarb rose on the way as soon as I have a free demijohn more number1 on the way in time for bbq season. Thanks for the help and recipe

Comment

• corks breathing

My cellar is in my shed and it does have a bit of a “shed smell” a bit musty will this smell eventually taint the wine as it breaths through the cork. Now that I’ve go some expensive reds that I aim to age for a year or more now is the time to nip any issues in the bud. A gardener suggested a sulphite candle and that would kill any nasty organisms too.
                            Life would be better if I could brew it as fast as we drink it!

Comment

• A sulphur candle is what is used in barrels,but i am not sure i would want to use one in a space I was going to be working in myself....

give the shed a thorough clean, and air it out I am sure you will be fine, remember most cellars are slightly "damp" (well humidity is high)
                              N.G.W.B.J.
                              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• made a wine no2 way to high in sugar .

Hey ,

I hope I,m not the first idiot to have done this and some one can help me .
                                So I have just put done 4 x 1gallon demijohns of no2 only problem is that I have just realized that rather than adding
                                a 1lb of sugar per batch , I,ve add 1kg .... lol
                                Thats 8.8 lb .

I have a big plastic 6gallon beer fermenter thats lying empty .
                                So I,m thinking I could add the 4 demi,s in there and water in down some how .
                                I,m guessing I can,t just add water as this will make it .... water.....lol

All suggestion greatfully received .... HELP

Nikki

Comment

Working...
                                X