Thread for questions and discussion on new winemaker series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheers RAB

I see Bob suggests earlier in the topic that he used 1/2 tsp lemon juice and 1/2 tsp lime juice instead of the citric acid.. So I assume 1 tsp of lemon juice should do it?

I was thinking maybe the No1 would be better with lemon juice and the No2 with tartaric acid?

What's your thoughts?

Comment

• Well I've started wine no1 and wine no2 - both using 1 tsp lemon juice and the recommended yeast split between them (I'll get some more for the next batch)

No1 SG was higher than expected following the recipe 1.090 - however I think that may be because I've left quite a bit of room in the DJ filling to the point where the top starts tapering in.

No2 SG was 1.080 which seems ok..

Will see how it goes, looking forward to these..

Comment

• Using citric acid will give a little fruit lift to the wine which is why i used it in the wine No1, but if customising and using other juices (for example pineapple) one might not need any acid additions

regards
        Bob
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Cheers Bob, I had a feeling it wouldn't be required for the pineapple variation of No.1

I've just started a basic No.1 & No.2 for now, will see how I get on

Comment

• Wine No 1 will not disappoint
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Hi all

I'm a new winemaker so sorry for what may well be a basic question.

I put a gallon of wine no.1 on 9 days ago and it has dropped to .992 on the hydrometer and stayed there for the last three days. However, I still get the odd bloop from the airlock and if I look closely I can see a few tiny bubbles rising to the surface. Is it safe to rack or shall I leave it a bit longer?

Thanks

Comment

• Better to leave it a bit longer because with no bubbles it will start to drop brilliantly clear...

Comment

• Thanks delmonteman, will do

Comment

• I agree.

A few more days won't hurt it. The bubbles may be carbon dioxide (i.e. it is degassing itself a little) or it might be ongoing fermentation.

Take your mind off this batch by making another one
                    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• I did think it may have been some co2 but have decided to leave it upon yours and delmonteman's advice.

Have another look today and the bubbles have almost stopped. But will get another batch on ASAP.

Thanks all

Comment

• Right, I have de gassed and it looks pretty clear (you can read newsprint through it) but when I shine a torch through it I can see the beam of light - does that mean there is still some particles suspended? Should I degas again or try some finings? It has been two weeks since I degassed and when I look I can see some sediment at the bottom of the dj so it looks like it has cleared a bit over the two weeks.

I feel it is not as clear as it could be? Any advice please?

Comment

• It should be star bright if it has cleared 100%, you can either wait a little longer or to speed things up a little add some finnings.
                          Discount Home Brew Supplies
                          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                          National Wine Judge
                          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Thanks Duffbeer, may try some finings as I can't wait to get stuck into my first batch of wine no 1

Comment

• Right - I need some help please!

I added the finings in Saturday (wilko two part sachet) and stirred them in as instructed on the packet.

The wine is now cloudier than it was before! There is a layer of white finings at the bottom of the dj but still a lot of suspended particles. I thought finings would make the wine crystal clear after about 24-48 hours? Can someone please help me and tell me what I should do?

Thanks

Comment

• Anyone?

Comment

Working...
                                X