• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FROM THEIR WEBSITE

http://www.better-bottle.com/products_master.html
    select the "how to" button for tons of info

Mixing/Degassing

Agitating the unsettled contents of Better-Bottle carboys in order to mix ingredients, add oxygen, or remove CO2 is very simple and, in contrast to glass carboys, no special equipment is required. If the wine or beer has already been settled in preparation for racking, slapping the side of the Better-Bottle carboy will cause shock waves that will drive CO2 out of the liquid and hasten settling of low density suspended or clinging solids – without significantly disturbing the sediment on the bottom of the carboy. To prevent oxygen contamination during degassing, carboys should be closed or equipped with a DryTrap air lock. Use the DryTrap tab to the left of this page for detailed information.

A Better-Bottle carboy can be placed on a cloth or towel and rolled back and forth to slosh the contents vigorously with very little effort. Leave extra head space during initial mixing and aeration to maximize agitation.

Swirling or rocking a Better-Bottle carboy vigorously requires almost no effort, if a tennis ball is placed in the punt space under the carboy. Leave extra head space during initial mixing and aeration to maximize agitation. To avoid wearing the bottom of the carboy, perform this operation on a smooth or soft surface.
    Last edited by lockwood1956; 07-08-2008, 09:14 AM.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• How on heavens earth do you sanitise a tennis ball before using it, and would it be discarded afterwards or could it be cleaned and re used????
      sigpic

Comment

• Look at the pic again, biggles. The ball is underneath the bottle.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

• Originally posted by Biggles View Post
          How on heavens earth do you sanitise a tennis ball before using it, and would it be discarded afterwards or could it be cleaned and re used????
          Look at the picture - it's on the outside, underneath the bottle!
          Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

• What if you don't play Tennis?

Seriously though - a Whizz Stick will be more effective, won't it? I would have thought removing a few litres to a DJ to create a bit of headspace would be a good idea too.
            Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

How on heavens earth do you sanitise a tennis ball before using it, and would it be discarded afterwards or could it be cleaned and re used????
              Hehee glasses might be order of the day.
              Discount Home Brew Supplies
              Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
              Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
              National Wine Judge
              N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Perhaps that was the trouble - he'd had too many of the other sort of glasses.
                Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

• I think you may be right
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Looks like a fab idea though...
                    I dont actually have any of these types of carbouys... but my friend does...
                    I think she will appreciate this info
                    Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

How on heavens earth do you sanitise a tennis ball before using it, ??
                      Hmmmm..... Tennis Ball Wine... I wonder if it'd turn out green?
                      (Or pink if you used pink ballls)
                      HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

• Glass carboys also have a punt, I will give the tennis ball method a go next time with my one
                        Alcohol causes you to forget things, and some other stuff I don't remember!

Comment

• Originally posted by wurzel View Post
                          Glass carboys also have a punt, I will give the tennis ball method a go next time with my one
                          Keep a camera handy, we like pics of disasters.
                          National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

• Oh....thanks Rick, maybee I'll give it a miss
                            Alcohol causes you to forget things, and some other stuff I don't remember!

Comment

• I have a question about my degassing technique (again)

I have a DJ of Christmas Pud wine, successfully degassed (I think) using a Vacuvin. I also have a 1+ litre plastic drinks bottle, fitted with an airlock and filled with the surplus.

So, to degas I transferred around a win bottle-full into (would you believe it) a wine bottle using a funnel and Vacuvin'd it. Lots of gas to start with, then settled down. I still had some in the plastic bottle, so I shook it to death. First couple of shakings produced a big escape of CO2 (and a small escape of wine onto the garage floor and my shoes). Subsequent shakings produced a champagne-like fizz which cleared within seconds.

Still with me?

I then transferred the wine bottle back to the plastic bottle (using a funnel), then started the process all over again.

I did this a few times, but the initial fizz, both from the Vacuvin and the shaking, was equally vigorous. Each time the reaction calmed down I mixed the two batches and started againn.

Am I causing this by transferring the wine back and forth using a funnel (aerating the wine, which I'm then pulling back out)?
                              Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• The key to knowing your wine is de-gassed is by the quick settling of the foam, if the foam sits their like whipped cream then there's more de-gassing needed.... But try not to get too anal about it, and yes every time you transfer you will get a little foaming.
                                Discount Home Brew Supplies
                                Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                                Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                                National Wine Judge
                                N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Working...
                                X