No announcement yet.

De-Gassing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have degassed a couple of wines which after a while, when shaken in a DJ, generate a lot of foam (which takes a long time to clear), but doesn't generate any pressure.

In other words, when I release my hand from the opening of the DJ, there is no FFFZZZZZZZZ (), but lots of foam on the wine.

Do you think it is still releasing CO2, or the wine is just forming a foam with the air present in the DJ?
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Sounds like it's de-gassed to me. Watch the de-gassing vid clip here, very interesting.

National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

• Just tried the vacuvin and air lock trick on a carbouy of chardonnay that is ready for finings adding. It works a treat, loads of extra gas came out.
        National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

• Degassing

Hi Richard
          Where did you get the Vacuvin and airlock from and what was the cost?
          Just read through all posts on degassing again and I think that it was bob who said that the cost was £7 plus £3 for somthing else I will have to read all posts again.
          I sit here most nights and go through almost all of the posts on this site and have learned so much, thank you all for all of the valuable information that they contain.
          I find that I don't have to ask to many questions as most have an answer on this site, I just have to try to remember where I have read the item and when.
          Again thanks to all

Terry
          Last edited by alcopop; 03-08-2008, 03:02 PM. Reason: Wanted to add more

Comment

• Originally posted by alcopop View Post
            Hi Richard
            Where did you get the Vacuvin and airlock from and what was the cost?
            Just read through all posts on degassing again and I think that it was bob who said that the cost was £7 plus £3 for somthing else I will have to read all posts again.
            I sit here most nights and go through almost all of the posts on this site and have learned so much, thank you all for all of the valuable information that they contain.
            I find that I don't have to ask to many questions as most have an answer on this site, I just have to try to remember where I have read the item and when.
            Again thanks to all

Terry
            Vacuvins ? google, but I seem to recall mine came from amazon - about £6 plus postage.

The orange carbouy caps (with the twin white capped piped moulded into them) are about the £3 mark, I've yet to find (or look for that matter) a safety bung. Though I think that'll be next on the list.

regards

JtFB
            Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• I actually found a Vacuvin this evening. The problem is, I couldn't get on with the rubber-bung-plus-safety-stopper method (didn't seem to generate a sufficient vacuum to pop the safety valve).

Purely by chance, though, I came up with another method. I've recently bought a few things called Latstock Airlock Holders. These look a bit like plastic DJ bungs, but are hollow and have a tube to fit an airlock. They fit DJs with a smaller-than-usual opening (e.g. Fatbloke's 1/2gal DJs) and, inverted, they will seal a wine bottle and allow you to fit an airlock (useful).

Anyway, I found the Vacuvin grey bung fitted over the airlock tube nicely - I popped the pump on top, gave it a couple of pumps, and hey presto - a vacuum!

I bought the airlock holders from The Hop Shop : http://www.hopshopuk.com . They aren't on the website yet, but I ordered mine by email (£1.25 a pair I think). Very useful gadgets, and I recommend the shop too.

If anyone is interested I'll post some photos.
              Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                If anyone is interested I'll post some photos.
                Always interested in photos

Many thanks
                Carole
                Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

• OK, here goes:

1. The airlock holder
                  2. Doing its normal job
                  3. Replace the airlock with the Vacuvin bung
                  4. The finished assembly

It does work - I degassed the wine in the pics by shaking, but this method is pulling lots more CO2 out.
                  Attached Files
                  Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Thanks for posting that.

It looks just the thing I'm looking for.
                    Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

• I have a 23L Better Bottle to degas.

Is it safe to use a Vacuvin? I very much doubt you could implode it, but you never know. The Better Bottle is full to within a couple of inches of the bung.

My alternative is a Whizz Stick, but won't I have to remove some of the wine into another vessel to make enough room for foaming etc? I assume that the less the wine is handled, the better.
                      Pete the Instructor

Comment

• DO NOT USE THE VACUVIN!

The bottle will collapse and you'll get wine over you, the worktop and anywhere else it can get.

I know - I've done it.
                        Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

• Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
                          I know - I've done it.
                          I feel better now Jan, I thought only I was fool enough to have done this.
                          Discount Home Brew Supplies
                          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                          National Wine Judge
                          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• OK - thanks folks! I wouldn't have gone ahead unless someone I trust on this Forum had said 'yes' anyway. Whizz Stick it is, then.

By the way, I have found that the Vacuvin also fits a junior airlock. Take the top off, and the bung fits the central tube. It does work too (glass DJ, in case you were wondering )
                            Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Always use glass when doing degassing with a vacuum. Make sure the bottle is close to full that way the vacuum will not pull the sides in too far and crack the glass.The liquid supports the sides so they will not collapse. I always use one size bigger bung as well as the regular size would get sucked inside.
                              http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

• The better bottle is designed to use for degassing by placing a tennis ball in the dimple at the base and rocking the bottle back and forth on it....remove some wine from the bottle first of course, but it does make things simpler

regards
                                Bob
                                N.G.W.B.J.
                                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                                X