De-Gassing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by benarnold View Post
    That's what I do as well: cold water, a cup of uncooked rice, and a jolly good shake. Gleaming DJs every time
    Good idea, I'll try that in future, I was cleaning out a big Better Bottle and there was something stuck to the bottom that I couldnt get out by shaking, so I used a sock tied to a tent pole, it worked , but I'll use your method next time lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Tuco View Post
      I'll be sure to check all my demijohns now for any fractures or cracks, Has anyone else broken a demi???
      I think everyone has either broken, or will break at least 1 DJ in their winemaking lifetime, and if they say otherwise they're probably lying!

I was lucky, the one whose bottom fell out was standing in a large pan as the airlock had been fizzing over so I'd put it into the pan overnight to contain any overspill. The bottom fell out of the DJ when I lifted it up to clean it, so at least the wine stayed in the pan. (No I didn't take pix)

I seem to remember last summer two high profile members on here had problems with DJ bottoms (I said DJ, NOT PJ!)falling off, but they stopped to take photos before clearing up the mess - much to the disgust of one of their OHs whose kitchen it happened in ...

So don't worry, you're not alone, and have a X for your injured paw.
      HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

• Originally posted by Her Lushness View Post
        I think everyone has either broken, or will break at least 1 DJ in their winemaking lifetime, and if they say otherwise they're probably lying!

I was lucky, the one whose bottom fell out was standing in a large pan as the airlock had been fizzing over so I'd put it into the pan overnight to contain any overspill. The bottom fell out of the DJ when I lifted it up to clean it, so at least the wine stayed in the pan. (No I didn't take pix)

I seem to remember last summer two high profile members on here had problems with DJ bottoms (I said DJ, NOT PJ!)falling off, but they stopped to take photos before clearing up the mess - much to the disgust of one of their OHs whose kitchen it happened in ...

So don't worry, you're not alone, and have a X for your injured paw.
        We're you cautious about using glass after the breakage? Because I still am, I inspect my DJ thoroughly before using now. I'd rather use my better bottles rather than my 5 gallon carboy, at least until I get some carboy handles, there is a website I was reading where people got cut arteries and stuff from a smashed carboy
        Last edited by Tuco; 30-04-2009, 09:39 PM.

Comment

Good idea, I'll try that in future, I was cleaning out a big Better Bottle and there was something stuck to the bottom that I couldnt get out by shaking, so I used a sock tied to a tent pole, it worked , but I'll use your method next time lol

Improvisation at its best Tuco
          Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

• re: carboy handles ....

I might be wrong, but I thought that the handles were suitable for lifting empty carboys only. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I have visions of you standing there with a carboy handle in your hand, still attached to the detached neck of a carboy, looking at your toes which are now scattered across the floor
            Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• yep I agree with Pete (Goldseal)

lifting a full carboy by the neck is a deffinate no no
              I wish I was a glow worm
              Cos a glow worm's never glum
              It's hard to be unhappy
              When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                re: carboy handles ....

I might be wrong, but I thought that the handles were suitable for lifting empty carboys only. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I have visions of you standing there with a carboy handle in your hand, still attached to the detached neck of a carboy, looking at your toes which are now scattered across the floor
                Well having just taken possession of my first 5 gall glass carbouy I have wanted one for ages I am I must admit terrified of It!!
                Weight and size! however it is now full of Beaverdale Borollo !
                After reading all the horror stories and worrying all yeasterday I came up with an idea it is now housed inside a large old plastic ferminting bin.
                If it breaks at least the neigbours downstairs won't be decorating their ceilings purple to match!.
                Last edited by plonky; 01-05-2009, 01:54 AM.

Comment

We're you cautious about using glass after the breakage? Because I still am, I inspect my DJ thoroughly before using now. I'd rather use my better bottles rather than my 5 gallon carboy, at least until I get some carboy handles, there is a website I was reading where people got cut arteries and stuff from a smashed carboy
                  No, I'm not too concerned about using 1 gall DJs - I just check them carefully and lift them and hold the bottom at the same time in case it comes off again!

I don't use glass carbuoys coz A - I can't lift them easily, and B - I'm scared they might break. I soley use better bottles for 5 gall ferments, which reminds me that I need some more before Grapefest!
                  HRH Her Lushness

Comment

Very clever! That actually solves the main flaw I see in bottle brushes, which is that they clean the straight sides of the DJ OK but don't do anything for the bottom of the sloping neck line.

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                      re: carboy handles ....

Yeah that's what I meant, I thought they would be handy for holding while cleaning etc not for shifting full carboy

Comment

• Originally posted by benarnold View Post
                        Very clever! That actually solves the main flaw I see in bottle brushes, which is that they clean the straight sides of the DJ OK but don't do anything for the bottom of the sloping neck line.
                        My bottle brush gets bent to some perculiar angles so I can reach all hard to get places. (Lush dont you dare comment)
                        I wish I was a glow worm
                        Cos a glow worm's never glum
                        It's hard to be unhappy
                        When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

• Originally posted by Zebedee View Post
                          My bottle brush gets bent to some perculiar angles so I can reach all hard to get places. (Lush dont you dare comment)
                          I'm trying to bend my brush back into shape :s

Comment

• Originally posted by Zebedee View Post
                            Cough cough cough....
                            HRH Her Lushness

Comment

• Originally posted by Her Lushness View Post
                              Cough cough cough....

Comment

• sorry to drag this back on topic when you are all having so much fun

so degassing ..... its new to me, done it a few times in recent months and i have a question. i use a whizz stick/drill and of course a vortex forms and goes deeper down the faster i drill. so when the vortex gets to the bottom it appears to do an uber job of degassing the wine - lots of froth - but i think that i'm actually gassing it when that happens, kinda like whipping eggs. since doing this the first time i have always been careful to keep the vortex small even tho its very boring. am i mistaken in this?
                                To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                                A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

Working...
                                X