De-Gassing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great post.

I had no idea you could get that many bubbles from the wine using the Vacuvin. I've been stirring mine quite a bit, but felt that some gas still remained. The Vacuvin looks to be much easier. I'll certainly set up for this method. Thanks for the tip.

ARCHER

Comment

De Gassing

Will the wine naturally de gas if left alone for some time?

Kodiak

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak
        Will the wine naturally de gas if left alone for some time?

Kodiak
        Yes wine will degas over time but, why wait? Degassing helps the wine to clear sooner and it is there fore ready to bottle sooner. Its an easy step that helps to speed up the process.
        Wine is my job and I'm late for work.

Comment

Hippie,

If filtering gets rid of 99% of the CO2 does that mean we can cut right on degassing at stabalising on the kit wines?
          What a result that would be.

Ian
          Ian&Pat
          www.grapeinventions.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Ian & Patricia
            Hippie,

If filtering gets rid of 99% of the CO2 does that mean we can cut right on degassing at stabalising on the kit wines?
            What a result that would be.

Ian
            Ian;

Failing to degas a kit wine will not allow it to clear when the finings are added. The CO2 will bind to the finings and the sediment, and keep it afloat.

Instead of 7 to 14 days to clear, you will still be looking at murky wine after a couple of months. Then you will decide to degas again, and have to add another dose of finings. This time a two part fining.

Pat

Comment

uh...

Sorry Ian. Most of the time when I am talking about wines, I am referring to scratch or homemade wines. With kits, always follow the directions explicitly.

It is not recommended to use the Mini-Jet on wines that contain alot of dissolved CO2. In my scratch wines that still contain gas when I am ready to filter, the action of the filter will usually take care of it.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Oh well. I guess the Fizz-ex won't be taking early retirement then.

Thanks

Ian
                Ian&Pat
                www.grapeinventions.co.uk

Comment

degassing

My early wines had that sharp taste that you describe, with lots of bubbles in a wineglass. Now I stir so much I might get tennis elbow. I just bought a couple carboy caps so I can degas with the vacuvin program. I assume I do this during the clearing phase. I hope they make a difference in my finished product.

Archer

Comment

Archer;

Your description sounds right. You can also decant wine that has been bottled, or use a vacuum saver on the bottle after opening and before pouring.

Pat

Comment

Vacuvin

If I understand you correctly, I can take my gassy bottles, open them, and use the vacuvin to degas the wine before consuming it. I assume this will take place in a few minutes.
                      Will the co2 have an effect on the wine itself, or just on one's tastebuds?

Thanks,
                      Archer

Comment

The CO2 will tend to hide some of the aromas in the wine.

Comment

Originally posted by P cuthbert
                          The CO2 will tend to hide some of the aromas in the wine.
                          CO2 in solution is in the form of carbonic acid. Nasty tasting stuff.

Comment

Luna Rossa

I used Lockwood's method of degassing on my Luna Rossa the other day. I stabilized and fined the wine, then stirred like heck. I then attached my new carboy cap & vacuvin stopper and used the pump to create vacuum. I couldn't beleive how much gas came out of the wine, especially since I stirred so much. Its a simple approach, but it works well. I think I'll pick up a fizz-x now.

I can't help but think about the wines I've bottled quickly, that didn't have time to degas properly. A great reason to bulk age your wine.

Archer

Comment

Bump
                              N.G.W.B.J.
                              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

is it even possible ...

to uncork my beginning wines, degas and recork? I hitched up a small assembly for using a vacuvin on a 1-gal. carboy and it's unbelievable how much gas is coming out! I had posted a while back about having high acid tastes and I have to believe this was the problem all along.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                                X