No announcement yet.

De-Gassing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you could just degass it bottle by bottle as you are using it, easier than doing them all at once.
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Rig

If you are in a pinch and do not have a pump or special drill mounted mixer then you still have hope. I bought a piece of food grade hose from the local hardware store that is similar to the hose that attaches industrial water purifiers to the sink. Cut about a 2 foot piece and tape the end to a bolt. The hose and bolt should overlap about 1-2 inches. Wrap the bolt in electrical tape to eliminate slippage and stick that end in your drill. Make sure that the bolt will fit into your drill, thread side in, which will mean that the bolt head is the end that is taped to your hose. You can cut the bottom end of the hose to give it more mixing capabilities.

Comment

I'm not sure I understand....

how do you make a straight piece of hose degas the wine?

regards
        Bob
        Last edited by lockwood1956; 11-04-2006, 02:12 PM.
        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

cONFUSED?

I figured there would be confusion. The hose that you buy at the store comes in a coil for storage purpose. When you cut a 2 foot section it stays curved unless you heat and starighten it out. Hopefully the picture that I attached shows up. Since it is curved and turns in a circular motion it makes a very effective mixer.
          Attached Files

Comment

LOL

sorry to be the one asking the dumb question, but thanks for clearing that up
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I just don't know about all that.
              REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Hi All, Newbie here with stupid question.

My husband and I are making a blueberry (from fresh then frozen) wine. It's been 25 years since the last wine-making adventure and the knowlege and techniques have certainly refined. We didn't degass back then, we didn't age either (we aspire to aging now - kind of a new year's resolution type thing).

To the point, When the SG reached .990 we racked to the carboy and used a vac-u-vin to pull some CO2. Lots of bubbles and foam. When this subsided some we added the K-meta and sorbate and de-gassed with the fizz-x for 2 minutes (as per directions from Wine Expert Merlot kit also in progress), added finings and repeated fizz-x for 2 minutes. The fizz-xing did NOT produce any foam (acted still). We then topped up with glass marbles. The wine started releasing gas again so we used the vac-u-vin again. There seemed to be no end to the amount of bubbles we could pull with the vac-u-vin.

We chickened out after about 15 minutes and began to think we were removing SO2. Is this possible? The wine is NOT re-fermenting and is clearing nicely.

What to do?

Thanks for your comments.

Marsha

Comment

Marsha;

This is normal for a young wine. 3 months in the carboy will allow a lot of the excess CO2 to come out, and then the racking will help to remove some more.

If you filter the wine, even more will come out. One more vacu-vin just before bottling will likely remove the rest.

Comment

Hi all. Getting very tired shaking my gallond dj's and my arms are sore at the best of times due to chronic fatigue syndrome. Trying to get back into the wine making.

Anyway - you speak of a Vacuvin for de-gassing. Would this be the item sold as a wine saver or is there another type which is for removing the CO2?

Cheers! I hope!
                    www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

Yes Shirl, its the same

Comment

Thank you - know what to buy now!!
                        www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

Can these vacuvin wine savers be bought in such as asda or morrisons and what price are they usualy?
                          Discount Home Brew Supplies
                          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                          National Wine Judge
                          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

I have found one on ebay - will go looking at the supermarket and wilkinsons later today.
                            www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

Goog point Duffbeer,

These can vary from retailer to retailer so be careful. I have seen them in some shops for over a tenner and only for a couple of £ in others, no guessing which end of the scale i got mine at..................

Comment

Flipping kids!!! Hours just spent in accident and emergency - why? Younger son decided to crunch a gobstopper - result one loose tooth with much blood and screaming in pain. Closer to the hospital than anywhere I could find a dentist so off we went. Result - still don't know if I can buy a vacuvin locally and still don't know if it is a baby tooth or permanent one - visit to find a dentist tomorrow!!!
                                www.honeyjukes.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X