• Show
Clear All

You could try a dose of Bentonite - it worked for me on a murky mead
    Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
      You could try a dose of Bentonite - it worked for me on a murky mead
      there are different types and qualities of bentonite. Most of the clay is used during primary to keep yeast in supension and after primary to make a weighted blanket to take out the heavy sediment and get it to settle out on the bottom.It is not a positive nor a negitive charged finning which would be I think more appropriate to use after fermentation. Isnglass is a good finning as is geletin use the Isnglass first give things a couple days then if necisarry put in a dose of geletin
      http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

It has to be one or the other, positive or negative, right ? Can it be neutral ? I thought it was one or the other.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

I will have to check into that Hippie what you say makes sense that there should be a positive or negitive. My thoughs were this that the betonite was used as supension for the yeast then after the yeast foculates it formed a blanket on top kind of a seal it you will then the finnings were the positive and negitive values were used to attract the oppiset charged paticles making them heavy enough to fall out of suspension

Comment

The trouble with isinglass and gelatine is that they are both animal products and vegetarians would have a problem with them.

Bentonite, being a mineral would not present this difficulty and all I can say is that by the next day I had a crystal clear mead and a nice solid sediment.
            Let's party

Comment

Mamgiowl I have to admit I did not think in those terms very calous of me I apoligise.

Comment

No problems, rjb222, I'm a rabid carnivore myself, but it was just a thought for the veggies among us.
                Last edited by Mamgiowl; 22-04-2008, 06:59 AM. Reason: Spelling!!!
                Let's party

Comment

rofl
                  N.G.W.B.J.
                  Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                  Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

If veggies don't want us to eat animals why are they made out of meat? LOL
                    Everybody should believe in something; I believe i'll have another drink!

Comment

Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
                      The trouble with isinglass and gelatine is that they are both animal products and vegetarians would have a problem with them.

-----%<-----
                      Hum? I know that isinglass is animal based but I thought that some gelatines where veggie based?

If so, isn't "Irish Moss" used to help clearing? That's just seaweed.

regards

JtFB
                      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Yep, you're right John, but some gelatine is made from boiling down animal bones.
                        Let's party

Comment

grape tannin powder

Grape tannin powder has two uses in wine making depending on when the addition is made. When added when setting up a must is helps give the wine some bite a necessary part of any wine to taste good. The second usage when done at the end of ferment is as a fining agent though to be noted grape tannin does have a tenancy to strip some colour from the wine.

Comment

Originally posted by Hippie View Post
                            It has to be one or the other, positive or negative, right ? Can it be neutral ? I thought it was one or the other.

This is from Leeners facts about wine making and tips.BENTONITE Primer
                            Bentonite is a fining agent. Fining is the action of removing particles that make a haze in wine by combining them with materials that bind to them and force them out of suspension, leaving the wine clear and bright. It not only improves a wine's appearance; it also makes sure that it is stable. Stable means that it won't change if appearance, taste, aroma, or chemical composition while in storage.
                            Bentonite is a type of clay, known as aluminosilicate. Its technical name is Montmorillonite. It's found with various minerals attached to it, such as sodium, calcium and magnesium. It was originally found in Fort Benton, Wyoming (where the name came from). It's used in winemaking, beauty treatments, mineral extraction, water treatment, and kitty litter.
                            When used in winemaking, it is stirred into the wine to remove proteins and other haze causing particles. It works through adsorption. This means that it attaches itself to a particle, and together they are too heavy to stay in suspension, falling to the bottom of the carboy, leaving the wine clear and stable. Bentonite settles out so completely that it does not leave any residue of taste or color behind. I take from this that the clay has no charge and works strictly from absorption.

Comment

Add to that.....

if you use it at the beginning of fermentation 1 tsp per gallon is enough, if using at the end of ferment, then much more is needed.

I have started using it as a standard addition to all of my wines, same as pectin destroying enzyme. (pectolase or rohapect)

regards
                              Bob
                              N.G.W.B.J.
                              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                                Add to that.....

if you use it at the beginning of fermentation 1 tsp per gallon is enough, if using at the end of ferment, then much more is needed.

I have started using it as a standard addition to all of my wines, same as pectin destroying enzyme. (pectolase or rohapect)

regards
                                Bob
                                This will dramatically improve the wine but one must take care when adding as this can not be removed once added. Finding the level for ones own personal taste should be done over a few batches with small additions to each to get the right level. Starting with a 1 tsp addition this will establish a guide line.

Comment

Working...
                                X