Youngs wine finings question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Youngs wine finings question

Picked up a couple packs of Youngs wine finings today and the packet says it's good for 5 gallons of wine.

I'm only going to be adding this to 1 gallon, possibly 2 gallons, so should i use less of it, or just bung it all in anyway? im not sure if this would have a bad effect putting too much in?

Thanks!

ps

Would i be right in thinking that if you started with juice that wasn't clear, it's not going to clear after fermenting? just wondered as i've also just racked my apple/red grape cider and the juice was cloudy to begin with.
    Last edited by 5thElement; 30-03-2008, 06:54 PM.

If it were me I would divide into four and use one part per gallon

old un

Comment

Would make sense, just not sure how i can store the remains until i need to use it again! i suppose it's cheap enough to just dispose of whats left though.

Comment

Originally posted by 5thElement View Post
        Would i be right in thinking that if you started with juice that wasn't clear, it's not going to clear after fermenting? just wondered as i've also just racked my apple/red grape cider and the juice was cloudy to begin with.
        No not necessarily......cloudiness can be caused by many things, but because it starts cloudy, it doesnt mean it will end cloudy.

On the fining's front, perhaps you could use a bulldog clip to seal the packet after use. I would likely use 1/2 of the fining's, and store it in the fridge after opening.

regards
        Bob
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Thanks Bob (see, i told you i'd be saying that alot!)

I guess now that i've got 2 gallons of cider racked, i should leave them a few more days and then add finings to both at once if required, and if possible bulldog clip the pack like you suggested! although it may just be easier to split it into two and use it up?

Tomorrow i'll be starting off the wine number 1, it's dawned on me that wine is the way to go, for the same effort wine will last me longer and from what i've read will give a better end result!

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
            No not necessarily......cloudiness can be caused by many things, but because it starts cloudy, it doesnt mean it will end cloudy.

On the fining's front, perhaps you could use a bulldog clip to seal the packet after use. I would likely use 1/2 of the fining's, and store it in the fridge after opening.

regards
            Bob
            Or a strong clothes peg.

Comment

Working...
            X