Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much wine do you plan to make in 2009?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
    I've lost count....

but somewhere around 300 gallons in 2009

hope to double that in 2010
    Ouch - that sounds like a challenge! Is that a gauntlet I see before me..
    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

I made somewhere around 160 gallons. A good variety, too. Last year I made 3 different reds and 3 different whites. This year I had 8 reds, 2 rosés, and 4 whites.

I also found this much wine is about my limit. I don't really have any inclination or need to make more. Next year, I'll probably stay around 150 gallons.
      Steve

Comment

This year I started part way through the year and made 35 gallon, most of it just becoming ready, so I estimate around 70-80 gallon mark.
        With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

I have 30 a gallon DJs so far, am going try and stick to 2 gallon batches with the hope of always drinking the one and storing the other for an other year

Comment

Originally posted by Cellar_Rat View Post
            Ouch - that sounds like a challenge! Is that a gauntlet I see before me..
            haha not at all Brian (you will be too busy fussing with those water melons to worry about grapes )
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

normal for me was around the 50 gallon mark but i would say that there was at least 5 number 5 gallom batches in there as for next year we are aimmng for around 30 gallons of 1 gallon batchs with around 20 gallons of elderberry and the same of apple/?????? wine aswell, and nopw that i have got the ideas and the hang of it at least 50 + bottles of champange styled wines
              Wine from grapes is alright, but nothing beats the proper stuff to make wine with.

Comment

I just started a thread for 2010 here
                Steve

Comment

According to my records I made 44 gallons in 2009, quite a bit under my original estimate.
                  National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Melons

haha not at all Brian (you will be too busy fussing with those water melons to worry about grapes )
                    I have to say it is coming along nicely - but proof is in the drinking. Can't stop have some Seyval to put outside!
                    Gluten free, caffeine free, dairy free, fat free – you gotta love this red wine diet!

Comment

Has your 09 Seyval thrown a lot of acid out?

i couldn't believe how much dropped out of mine in primary, and then again in secondary. Never had a wine throw so much acid.
                      N.G.W.B.J.
                      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I have a coating on the DJ walls, extending about an inch up. They have been in the garage, in the cold, for weeks.
                        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

Has your 09 Seyval thrown a lot of acid out?

i couldn't believe how much dropped out of mine in primary, and then again in secondary. Never had a wine throw so much acid.

Welcome to ENGLISH grapes. My seyval did the same, so much so that there was a small tartaric acid wall at the base of the barrels at fisrt racking. V nice drinking though -pleaesed with it - just fac curlingly sharp. Regent grapes did the same. All they are off outside as soon as I get the stopper problem fixed!

Brian

Comment

My Rondo went out to the garage two days ago, and it is already precipitating acid.

Unfortunately, my Seyval is causing me a problem. I'm making it using the shortcut method described elsewhere. The bottles are inverted, clearing at the moment, but I have crystals forming in the neck. I think I'm going to struggle to get them out when disgorging.
                            Pete the Instructor

Comment

Riddle and then freeze? I am took that the plumber pipe freezing kits work well on bottles.!

Comment

After riddling I now freeze using ice + salt - very effective. The acid is forming further down the neck though - I think it might be a bit stubborn to move. Live and learn
                                Pete the Instructor

Comment

Working...
                                X