Optimum temp for Kwikclear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimum temp for Kwikclear

Already asked this question but had no resonse what is the best temperature for kwiklear to work room temp or warmer for a couple of days or keep cold after using?

(think I have been sold a dodgy batch!)

Cannot find any info about temps on the Kwiklear site.

Thanks

Room temp

it should work within 24 hours normally

what makes you think you have a duff batch?

have you tried it on more than one wine

where did you ask the question and get no response? (unusual....how long did you wait?)
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I've looked through your posts....i cant find where you asked this question
      Last edited by lockwood1956; 09-03-2009, 10:53 PM.
      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
        I've looked through your posts....i cant find where you asked this question
        Many thanks .
        I have used the Kwikclear on three seperate gallon batches of wine No1 left at room temp there is no clearing!
        I asked the question on the winemaker series thread.

hi gang please cast an eye over this as it progresses.... http://www.winesathome.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=62 make sure i don't miss anything out, this series of posts/tutorials is going to lead new winemakers through the Winemaking process, starting with the basic equipment, and a wine that will be drinkable in 4

Comment

Originally posted by plonky View Post
          Already asked this question but had no response what is the best temperature for kwik clear to work room temp or warmer for a couple of days or keep cold after using?

(think I have been sold a dodgy batch!)

Cannot find any info about temps on the Kwiklear site.

Thanks
          For sure don't keep cold, it can cause the gelatin to congele, room temp of about 19 to 21 c will be fine.
          As for a dodgy batch, well I've never had trouble with kwik clear, make sure your don't have a pectin or starch haze, because if you have then no fining agents will clear your wine without sorting the haze first.
          Have you properly de-gassed the wine ? as this will prevent clearing too.
          Last edited by Duffbeer; 09-03-2009, 11:15 PM.
          Discount Home Brew Supplies
          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
          National Wine Judge
          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by plonky View Post
            Many thanks .
            I have used the Kwikclear on three seperate gallon batches of wine No1 left at room temp there is no clearing!
            I asked the question on the winemaker series thread.

thanks for showing me the question...i missed it

I think its likely a pectin problem if the Kwik Clear wont shift it

add 2 tsp pectolase to the batch, stir it and leave it 48 hours and see.

cheers
            bob
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
              For sure don't keep cold, it can cause the gelatin to congele, room temp of about 19 to 21 c will be fine.
              As for a dodgy batch, well I've never had trouble with kwik clear, make sure your don't have a pectin or starch haze, because if you have then no fining agents will clear your wine without sorting the haze first.
              Already added pectolase during ferment as advised on this site !

So dont think it is a pectin haze .
              Thanks.

The place I bought the Kwikclear from has no heating in the shop I noticed the pack says do not store below X degree cent etc that is why I dont think it is working i.e. its been very cold round here lately.
              Last edited by plonky; 09-03-2009, 11:15 PM.

Comment

Have you de-gassed the wine ? trapped co2 will also prevent finings from working correctly.
                National Wine Judge
                N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Have you de-gassed the wine ? trapped co2 will also prevent finings from working correctly.
                  Wine is flat as a fart learned how to degass that here too (the wine I mean).

Thanks again

Comment

OK Plonky, I am usualy reluctant to blame a product for failure, 99% of the time it is user error, but have you checked the date on your finings ? unfortunately the home brew game can be a little lax, some stores don't check their stock for use by dates,
                    maybe that's an avenue to look at. Also give us a run down as to how you are using the finings, the more info we have the more we can help.
                    National Wine Judge
                    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

OK Plonky, I am usualy reluctant to blame a product for failure, 99% of the time it is user error, but have you checked the date on your finings ? unfortunately the home brew game can be a little lax, some stores don't check their stock for use by dates,
                      maybe that's an avenue to look at. Also give us a run down as to how you are using the finings, the more info we have the more we can help.
                      Use by 11/2010 used 2ml A+B at room temp 30 mins apart I really do think they have been stored at to low a temp in the shop the reason why is I used them on one batch of wine three days before the others and nothing has happened to any of them .
                      From my learning here non of these wines should have a lot of suspended solids to clear they are basesd on juice wines?.

Is it safe to try using the Kwiklear again?How many times can they be used on 1 gallon of wine?

I have some bentonite should I use that?

Thanks for your help.
                      Last edited by plonky; 09-03-2009, 11:58 PM. Reason: link

Comment

I don't like finings, so always use bentonite anyway, if need be and it has never failed me yet. I don't think there'd be any harm in you using it now. Saves adding yet more chemicals to your wine.
                        Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Here goes, add 5ml-one teaspoon of finings A, give it a jolly good stir and leave for 1 hour at room temp 19 to 21 c, then add 5ml one teaspoon of finings B, gently stir into the liquid, leave for anything up to 72 hrs and it should be clear.
                          These are my methods btw, the dosage is slightly higher than the manufacturer recommends. If it hasn't cleared at this point, then A. you have a dodgy batch of finings(very unusual) or B. you have a pectin,starch,chemical haze.
                          National Wine Judge
                          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
                            I don't like finings, so always use bentonite anyway, if need be and it has never failed me yet. I don't think there'd be any harm in you using it now. Saves adding yet more chemicals to your wine.

So do I use 1tsp per gallon and rehydrate it first for around 15 mins and mix in is that correct? I agree I dont want to add more chemicals if possible.

Comment

Mix up according to instructions, but I find it probably needs more than 15 mins - it's a bugger to rehydrate sometimes. They tell you on the tub to mix some up for future use as it will keep for ages. I've not tried that as I don't use it that often but it's a good idea I think.

I can't give you dosage 'cos I'm a 'chuck it and see' sort of person, but it will all come out anyway as it forms a lovely stable sludge in the bottom of the DJ and makes racking really easy
                              Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Working...
                              X