Optimum temp for Kwikclear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cmgi Owl View Post
    I don't like finings, so always use bentonite anyway, if need be and it has never failed me yet. I don't think there'd be any harm in you using it now. Saves adding yet more chemicals to your wine.
    Bentonite will not work if finings don't, they work in the same way, they are electrically charged components that form a floculalance and drag debris to the bottom of a vessel. Actualy no chemicals involved...
    Gelatine as we al know is an animal product....

Kiesesol...
    The main ingredient for amorphous
    silica is regular quartz sand which can
    be found in abundance anywhere. This
    sand is processed with Sodium
    Carbonate, Na2CO3 which is made
    using the Solvay process combining
    salt, ammonia, carbon dioxide, and
    limestone all naturally occurring
    substances.

Hey ho even found something new myself
    Last edited by Duffbeer; 10-03-2009, 12:37 AM.
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Ooops, I didn't know all that - it just seems like chemicals I suppose.
      Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Bentonite seems to have things moving down.Best way I have found of blending it is to use a pestle and mortar and blend small amounts of wine into it stirring all the time.

Hubble bubble etc.................

Comment

Clearing problem has been caused by using Morrisons pressed apple juice which is cloudy from the carton.I must have taken 3 to 4 inches of sediment out of wine No1 and its still building up like snow!

Luckily another batch I used ordinary apple juice from concentrate that is crystal clear.

I would advise against using Morrisons pressed apple god knows whats in it but you would think my wine had been standing uncovered next to a sawmill.

Is it worth starting a new thread on this to warn other's it is part of their 3 for 2 offer.

Comment

Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
            Mix up according to instructions, but I find it probably needs more than 15 mins - it's a bugger to rehydrate sometimes. They tell you on the tub to mix some up for future use as it will keep for ages. I've not tried that as I don't use it that often but it's a good idea I think.

I can't give you dosage 'cos I'm a 'chuck it and see' sort of person, but it will all come out anyway as it forms a lovely stable sludge in the bottom of the DJ and makes racking really easy
            The best method i have found is sprinkle the bentonite on the surface of some warm water in a 250ml bottle leave it for a few minutes and shake.Keep shaking every few mins and it will turn into an emulsion.

Comment

Ahh, I hadn't thought of the sprinkle method. I've always plonked it into a jug, added water and it promptly formed itself into a stiff putty. Next time I'll 'sprinkle'
              Let's party

Comment

Originally posted by plonky View Post
                Clearing problem has been caused by using Morrisons pressed apple juice which is cloudy from the carton.I must have taken 3 to 4 inches of sediment out of wine No1 and its still building up like snow!

Luckily another batch I used ordinary apple juice from concentrate that is crystal clear.

I would advise against using Morrisons pressed apple god knows whats in it but you would think my wine had been standing uncovered next to a sawmill.

Is it worth starting a new thread on this to warn other's it is part of their 3 for 2 offer.
                Too late for me I started an apple and elderflower last week.

I added pectolayse at the start, will I be OK?

Comment

You should be. I've used a very pulpy pear juice before now and it cleared quite nicely in its own time.
                  Let's party

Comment

Very sorry for digging up this 2 year old thread!!, but I been looking for an answer to why my n01 dry table wine won't clear.

Being a total amature, I didn't think about a juice that was cloudy would stop the Kwikclear from working. I must have tried 4 times to clear the 1 gallon batch (racking each time and de gassing) with kwikclear so far and still not clear.

I'm not sure which one to try first; bentonite or youngs pectolase?
                    I will rack the wine again then do a 1/2tsp of youngs pectolase and see what happens in the next few days.

The apple juice didn't say cloudy on the pack but it sure was when pouring it at the start...it didn't occur to me that this is why it's not clearing until reading this thread.

plonky; thanks and I agree this is worthy of a new warning about the use of cloudy juice, but I guess it is only a few of us absolute amatures that really should have seen this coming!!!

I will try Bentonite after if the pectolase doesn't work.

Lee
                    Last edited by parabolic; 22-10-2011, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Pectolase would be my first choice.

Rack first: hopefully this will leave the finings behind. If you don't, then add Pectolase, the finings might pull the pectolase to the bottom before it has chance to do anything.

I'd try 1tsp/gal pectolase to start with. If that doesn't work, try an additional 1 tsp.
                      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

ok mate, thanks for that. I thought 1tsp may be too much as its a fine powder and looked a lot to add just for 1 gallon, well it's more like 3 litres now that it's been racked 4-5 times.

will try one full level, measured kitchen standard tsp.

will update in a few days on what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by parabolic View Post
                          ok mate, thanks for that. I thought 1tsp may be too much as its a fine powder and looked a lot to add just for 1 gallon, well it's more like 3 litres now that it's been racked 4-5 times.

will try one full level, measured kitchen standard tsp.

will update in a few days on what happens.
                          Cloudy wine will be the least of your problems if you have that amount of headspace for any length of time due to oxidization. One of the golden rules is to always top up after a racking. You can get away with using cooled previously boiled water once or twice but it is always better to use a similar wine if you possibly can to maintain body and strength. Racking that often will have also greatly reduced the SO levels so another 5ml of 10% Sodium Metabisulphite would not go amiss. Also on the cloudy juice note, cloudy juice simply means it is full of appley bits and they generally fall out pretty easily. Downside is you have much more sediment. Clear apple juice does not have that problem and therefore less sediment to rack. I agree that it is more likely to be a pectin haze and it may take several doses to do the trick. Hope it works out for you. You could test for pectin if you have some meths handy (yes, the one you keep in the brown paper bag...) mix 1 tsp wine with 4tsp methylated spirits, give a good shake and wait half an hour. If you can then see stringy bits you have pectin. If you have lumpy bits you have loads of pectin and if it forms into a jelly you have jam. Dump the sample and treat the wine accordingly. Ultimately even if it does not clear, as long as it tastes ok do you really care? You can always try again and in just 30/40 days could have a perfect brew (and in time for Chrimbo)
                          Okay, now I get it. The difference between drinkable and ready....

Comment

Original Mac, thanks for all that advice.

Comment

No problem mate, we were all learners once ('cept Bob of course, he was born with the knowledge) Only passing on what I have learned within these forum walls.

hmmm, thinking about it I am still learning now....currently learning whether my Beaverdale Shiraz tastes dry or medium dry...tricky.....best have another glass.......
                              Last edited by Original Mac; 22-10-2011, 09:03 PM.
                              Okay, now I get it. The difference between drinkable and ready....

Comment

I find you always have to use more of it than it says on teh packet but have never failed with it.

I always start at room tempreture add it and ensure its mixed well then move somewhere cold for it to clear and will always show a good result overningt and full clear the next day 48 hours.

I use 1 teaspoon of A and then 1 of B to one gallon
                                Malc

Comment

Working...
                                X