Frequently fizzy wine - why??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nelly View Post
    Thanks all (though somewhat lost in the last few replies!). I've had a more thorough look round the site now (including the tutorial pages I missed completely) and am getting a better grip on things, particularly all this fizz I keep making. Shame I don't seem to be able to get a grip on life generally...!
    I read this thread and did not see where temperature was mentioned.CO2 which is what you are tying to displace hangs onto liquids and is hard to remove at temperatures below 70 deg approx 21 C CO2 releases quite easily at 75deg 23 C. The stir stick is a great investment but you need a proper temperature to be successful. Do not worry about the warmer temperatures and oxidization as you will need to add a dose of sulfite just before using the stir stick use 5ml per gallon of 10% solution or one Campton crushed and melted in warm water per gallon to protect your wine while stirring.
    http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

"I feel I need to warn your boyfriend of the impending arrival of the whiz stick, and your intentions to use it on him"

Surely it's more fun without the warning?!

Oh and thanks for all the temperature info, rjb. I'm going to have a whizzing session this afternoon (boyfriend will not be involved at this stage...). I used to live in a house that rarely got above 10 degrees centigrade even in really warm weather (hellish in winter - and this is where I started winemaking!) but I'm staying in BF's very normal semi at the moment so no problems with chill. Away with you, Fizz!
      Last edited by Nelly; 09-09-2009, 07:51 AM.

Comment

Working...
      X