Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much Sodium Metabisulphite for 1 gallon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much Sodium Metabisulphite for 1 gallon?

Just bought Youngs 100g tub of this and wondered if 1/4 of a tsp was plenty for a 1 gallon batch of wine?

Thanks

Chris
    My Website - Backyard.8m.net
    Astronomy, Veggies & Beer

I use sulphite as a 10% solution for all sorts of things. Mix your 100g in 1 litre of water and put a little in your dj's (with a bung in) to keep them sanitized and ready for use. 5ml of this solution is all you need to add in the place of a crushed campden tablet once fermentation is complete. I'm not exactly sure but I think that 1/4 tsp is enough for 5 gallons.
    National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

If you're using a 10% solution as Richard described, then 5ml (which is a teaspoon) is equivalent to 1 campden tablet.

1 campden tablet is used per gallon of wine after racking etc etc
      HRH Her Lushness

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Comment

Hmmm i added 1/4 tsp to the must. Read that was around right. 1 tsp for 5 gallons.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisG View Post
          Hmmm i added 1/4 tsp to the must. Read that was around right. 1 tsp for 5 gallons.
          It's 5ml; similar thread here 10% Meta Linky
          Last edited by Her Lushness; 26-09-2009, 08:06 PM.
          HRH Her Lushness

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisG View Post
            Similar mistake to the one I made on placing my wine into storage

Too much sulphite, eeek!!!

Might only be useful for a juice drink that won't go off now
            ex ovo omnia
            Chemist, welder, homebrewer

Comment

Originally posted by Richard S View Post
              I use sulphite as a 10% solution for all sorts of things. Mix your 100g in 1 litre of water and put a little in your dj's (with a bung in) to keep them sanitized and ready for use. 5ml of this solution is all you need to add in the place of a crushed campden tablet once fermentation is complete. I'm not exactly sure but I think that 1/4 tsp is enough for 5 gallons.
              I can't find the link.... but I was sure it was 10g per 1 litre of water ???
              Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

100g per litre of water will give a 10% solution, as above 5ml or one teaspoon replaces a campden tablet.
                Discount Home Brew Supplies
                Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                National Wine Judge
                N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                  100g per litre of water will give a 10% solution, as above 5ml or one teaspoon replaces a campden tablet.
                  Thank you Karl!
                  HRH Her Lushness

Comment

Thanks for the advice, I have made up the solution. Seems thought the fermentation of my latest batch that I added 1/4 tsp has started. So fingers crossed!

Comment

Thanks Karl... its all coming back to me now....
                      Too much time at work recently.
                      Days off now
                      Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Being really picky, I brought this up at the after hours VWC meeting last night.. 100g of sulphite in 1 litre of water, or 100g sulphite topped up-to 1 litre mark.

It probably doesn't really make much difference, But the reply I got from Bob was to top up-to the 1 litre mark.

Question though.. 5ml of 10% solution would give you about 0.5g of sulphite to the gallon, or 2.5g sulphite to a 5 gallon batch. Why do kits come with 5gram packets? (the mist kits even come with 7g packets)

Are the kits adding to much, or are we not adding enough? should I just drink my coffee this morning and not worry about it?

Comment

Do you not often find you can taste the sulphite in many kits ? I can in many of the cheaper early drinkers, hence why I discard the sachet and add my own stabalisers.
                          Discount Home Brew Supplies
                          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                          National Wine Judge
                          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Do you not often find you can taste the sulphite in many kits ? I can in many of the cheaper early drinkers, hence why I discard the sachet and add my own stabalisers.

No, but I've not made cheaper kits for a while now. Generally on Ltd kits for the last couple of years and tried to let them age. Maybe that's the reason.

Comment

Just for clarification:

it is 100g of sulphite and topped up to one Litre....

not adding 100g to a litre of water...slight differnce
                              Last edited by lockwood1956; 28-09-2009, 03:28 PM.
                              N.G.W.B.J.
                              Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                              Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                              X