2 Litre demijohns from Westons cider containers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by David View Post
    P.S. When I said drilled tapered corks corks I meant you have to drill them yourself.

How did you drill them? very small drill on low speed? increasing the size of the drill?
    With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

Originally posted by ukric View Post
      How did you drill them? very small drill on low speed? increasing the size of the drill?
      You don't. You wait until you're heading in the direction of the South Coast (central sussex area) and then you PM me for directions and I sell you "full sized" half gallon DJ's @ 20 pence a piece.

They're used ones, originally for cider, but have correctly sized openings that take standard/normal cork/rubber bungs that you already have for your 1 gallon DJ's, so there's no issue about having to buy any special bungs/stoppers and then trying to drill cork/rubber with wood or metal drill bits and making a complete pigs ear of it (Yes I've had to try this in the past, it's not an easy thing to do).

For more info, just search the forums for my "half gallon DJ's" thread....

Yes they need a good wash out having sat in a barn for 10 years +, but that's also why I'm only asking for a very small price..... and yes some could be posted, but because of the cost etc it's not really "cost effective" unless you wanted about 50 or so (last time I worked it out, the shipping would have doubled the price to about 40p each if bought 50 at a time (so still cheap compared to ebay prices)

Oh and to really understand the provenance of them, you'd have to locate cider by "Norman Hunt & Son" (the only place I've seen the cider is Middle Farm but it is very good (organic as well.....) cider.

regards

jtfb

p.s. and yes, you only have to ask around the forums as there are a number of members who've bought them....... maybe I'll get a chance to bring some to next years grapefest....if I can get there myself....
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
        you only have to ask around the forums as there are a number of members who've bought them.
        Dam useful they have been too, thanks John.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
          Dam useful they have been too, thanks John.
          That's the whole point Rich, I knew, as soon as I saw them that I'd have a use for them as would others hereabouts.

I saw the westons ones in the local tesco and spotted that there might be a few snags sorting stoppers etc for them...... hence I didn't bother even buying one for the cider and to try for the brewing.....

regards

jtfb
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

I personally don't get to sussex that often, however my parents do, they go Newhaven Dieppe on the ferries, will need to find out when they're next back/going again and sure I can arrange them to collect some
            With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

Yes, using a drill bit slightly smaller than the airlock tube to be inserted so the cork expands a bit and is a good fit in the flagon.

I have half gallon DJs (and corks that fit), but still use these these 2 litre flagons for trial batches as I consider them the most suitable size for racking off and leaving any sediment behind - What's the point of racking off a gall trial wine into two half gall DJs if you're going to have to dilute it to top them up?

The size of these flagons is their advantage, not their initial or subsequent costs.
              Last edited by David; 31-10-2009, 08:42 PM.
              My Brewlist@Jan2011

Comment

I personally don't get to sussex that often, however my parents do, they go Newhaven Dieppe on the ferries, will need to find out when they're next back/going again and sure I can arrange them to collect some
                Well obviously I work full time, but something can always be arranged evenings and weekends (and I'm about the same distance along from the A23 as it is to the top of the A26 down to Newhaven.... and vvv easy to get too!)

regards

jtfb

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Working...
                X