Dry Yeast shelf life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Yeast shelf life?

I've had some Lalvin champagne yeast in the fridge for about 4-5 months, and today I was making some 'Turbo cider' and the yeast dropped to the bottom pretty quickly, like sediment, I tried swirling, shaking, I also tried making a starter in a little bottle with another packet, same thing happened, I also tried 2-3 more packets with the same results.

Do you think the yeast has gone inactive or bad?
    Last edited by Tuco; 21-10-2009, 07:22 AM.

Doubtful, I'll bet it's away by this time tomorrow
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

What is the expiry date on the packet?

I have used yeast that was a year past the date on the packet and it was fine

I think it will kick in ...give it a little time
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
        What is the expiry date on the packet?

I have used yeast that was a year past the date on the packet and it was fine

I think it will kick in ...give it a little time
        Can't see a expiry date on the packet Bob. However, I decided to use another packet on the 2 litre of apple juice and, it looks like it's started fermenting, the other yeast is still in the bottom

I just hope my 10 liters of apple juice + bramley apples starts up, what a nightmare I've had with that tonight, after
        the leaky tap on the fermenter incident

I just don't understand why 1 packet is sunken to the bottom like sediment, and the packet thats working is freefloating like normal :S Any ideas?
        Last edited by Tuco; 21-10-2009, 09:43 AM.

Comment

The expiry date is stamped in the side of the packet usually, or 'pressed' in.

Maybe transfer some of the working must into the other non working must?

My latest wine #1 has started working with a little of the lees from a lychee I've just racked. The lychee was made with 1118 as I intend to try it sparkling.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich View Post
            The expiry date is stamped in the side of the packet usually, or 'pressed' in.

Maybe transfer some of the working must into the other non working must?

My latest wine #1 has started working with a little of the lees from a lychee I've just racked. The lychee was made with 1118 as I intend to try it sparkling.

I'll do that Rich

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
              Doubtful, I'll bet it's away by this time tomorrow
              You were right Duff, I think I was just being paranoid, everything is fermenting now

Comment

Working...
              X