Looking for Home Pasteurizer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for Home Pasteurizer

I keep reading about you Euros guys using a home pasteurizer and wanted to ask for some sources, like does Euro Amazon carry them, someplace I could order one to be shipped over here. In the US all I can find is canning pots or pressure cookers, I dont want to cook my juices just pasteurize them.

Thanks

Crackedcork in the USA
    WVMountaineer Jacks Elderberry and Meads USA

WECK produce them and I'm sure I've seen their stuff on U.S. websites, but they seem to be mainly used for pasteurising goats milk, but searching for WECK canning jars (I use these in my pasteuriser) might throw up a source of the equipment such as http://www.weckcanning.com/docs/order_form.htm - last 2 items on the order form, but unfortunately out of stock.
    Last edited by David; 03-10-2010, 07:01 PM.
    My Brewlist@Jan2011

Comment

Dunno about home pasteurisers CC, but I had a look at your website/elderberry links......

Amazing..... It didn't occur to me that they might be farmed somewhere, especially as they grow wild here, obviously various different types but there's lots of them (picked about 15lb this afternoon as they're just about finished - only 4 hours de-stemming and rinsing/sorting all now sitting in the steam juice extractor ready for some heat.... tomorrow as it's too late for fire up the gas now)

Actually, the steam extractor must also be a pasteuriser of sorts.... not that it's really controllable but hell, it must pasteurise as well as break down the juice cells in the fruit to release the juice. Dunno if that's something you have or might have thought about........

regards

jtfb
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

FB, you should look around the website a bit more and find the demos on how to harvest easily by either knocking them on the sides of a bucket or scraping them across a baking rack, and then sorting with a bucket of cold water to let the unripe ones and debri float away. I can do about 8 gallons of berries on my own in 3 hours and thats not working very hard. The problem with a steam juicer is that when you freeze your berries and then steam juice them a lot of juice already is free and doesnt set in the steamer long enough to get pasteurized. I tried it once and the juice fermented on its own. I could just can them but there is no need to heat the juices up so hot if they can just be pasteurized.

CC

Originally posted by fatbloke View Post
        Dunno about home pasteurisers CC, but I had a look at your website/elderberry links......

Amazing..... It didn't occur to me that they might be farmed somewhere, especially as they grow wild here, obviously various different types but there's lots of them (picked about 15lb this afternoon as they're just about finished - only 4 hours de-stemming and rinsing/sorting all now sitting in the steam juice extractor ready for some heat.... tomorrow as it's too late for fire up the gas now)

Actually, the steam extractor must also be a pasteuriser of sorts.... not that it's really controllable but hell, it must pasteurise as well as break down the juice cells in the fruit to release the juice. Dunno if that's something you have or might have thought about........

regards

jtfb
        WVMountaineer Jacks Elderberry and Meads USA

Comment

Originally posted by Crackedcork View Post
          or scraping them across a baking rack
          I can vouch for the baking rack idea, it's genius

Comment

Originally posted by Crackedcork View Post
            The problem with a steam juicer is that when you freeze your berries and then steam juice them a lot of juice already is free and doesnt set in the steamer long enough to get pasteurized. I tried it once and the juice fermented on its own. I could just can them but there is no need to heat the juices up so hot if they can just be pasteurized.
            I'm familiar with the problem of trying to bottle the first run of juice from a steam juice extractor:

Originally posted by David View Post
            I can foresee problems if using defrosted fruit (where lots of juice will run straight into the juice reservoir) and running that off into bottles before the steam rising beneath has heated it to over 75 degrees C for 25 minutes, otherwise as long as the bottles are sterilised (and heated so they don't crack), filled right to the brim, the caps are also sterilised and are put on immediately after filling and the bottles are laid on their sides after capping, then it should be OK.

The temperature of the juice can always be checked (and the juice poured back in over the fruit) to ensure it's been hot enough for long enough to bottle.
            Going back at some of the U.S.A. sites I visited looking for WECK canning jars & accessories (which are relatively unavailable in the UK) it appears that the type of pasteuriser widely available here is now no longer available/discontinued in the U.S.A. The only site still advertising them (a goat milk site) is this one: https://www.caprinesupply.com/shop/?...f6f54fae175d43 but they don't have timers and only the most expensive one has a tap.

Vigo, the company in the UK where I bought my pasteuriser http://www.vigopresses.co.uk/store/p...e=pasteurisers state they no longer ship further than the EU due to exhorbitant insurance costs.

There is another company based in Belgium that sell them and state they will ship world-wide (but don't give costs) http://www.brouwland.com/setframes/?...%3D24&shwlnk=0 That's not the only model they sell, but it's a bit difficult to post link to their entire range.

Amazon.co.uk sell an enamel Rommelsbacher one, but they don't appear to ship such items further than the EU.http://www.amazon.co.uk/ROMMELSBACH-...f=pd_rhf_p_t_2

EDIT: If ordering one, check it includes the grille that rests inside for the bottles to sit on (a bit like a low cake stand) as some places appear to sell them as an extra.
            Last edited by David; 05-10-2010, 04:29 PM.
            My Brewlist@Jan2011

Comment

Working...
            X