Christmas pud wine not clearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Christmas pud wine not clearing

Has anybody had any issues with it not clearing? I have made 2x 2 gallons and 1x 1 gallon and blended them all into a 5 gallon better bottle. I've fully degassed and kwik cleared twice.

The first few inches of the bottle look as if its starting to clear (been like this for over a month) and the rest is very hazy still.

Another gallon of it that I made at the same time is perfectly crystal clear...

Pectin haze? (after testing with meths) is it 1 tsp per gallon over 24 hours between additions? Or do I just add 1 tsp for 5 gallons as I seem to recall not needing to add more pectolase for larger batches.
    Last edited by billybuntus; 02-12-2010, 03:49 PM.

HI

I recently made 3 gallons of this. Absolute pig to clear. I added 3 tsp pectolase and a youngs 2 part finings (after initially using qwik clear).

Finally cleared after another 2 weeks. I think the majority of my haze was pectin. With pectolase, I find it works best if you keep the DJ warm for a couple of days. (leave it on the heater or belt).

I am not sure of the optimum temp for this enzyme but bear the rule of thumb that enzyme activity will double for each 10 degree rise in temperature (up to the point the enzyme denatures that is). I would guess that 24C would be a good temp for the pectolase to do it's stuff.

hope this helps

Mark

http://markblades.com
    Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
    These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

Well, I've tried 10ml in some meths and theres no stringyness in sight. Just looks milky. Guess I'm just being impatient again. Humph

Comment

I think the amount of pectin present would e insufficient to precipitate in alcohol. Normally for an acid jelly you would test 15ml juice in 50-60ml meths.

slowly inverting the test tube a couple of times should result in a jelly like mass if you have enough pectin for a jelly. I have no idea if that would equate to the same amount for a pectin haze.

Maybe I should try boiling some with some sugar and see if I get Xmas pud jam
        regards

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by mcblades View Post
          I think the amount of pectin present would e insufficient to precipitate in alcohol. Normally for an acid jelly you would test 15ml juice in 50-60ml meths.

slowly inverting the test tube a couple of times should result in a jelly like mass if you have enough pectin for a jelly. I have no idea if that would equate to the same amount for a pectin haze.

Maybe I should try boiling some with some sugar and see if I get Xmas pud jam
          regards

Mark
          I thought meths would pick up any pectin in the wine?

Comment

Yes it will

you need to shake the snot out of it.
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

i stand/sit corrected.

Comment

On the subject of Christmas pudding wine, I have a Morrison's pudding that I received from Bob in August. To be honest, I put it in a cupboard and forgot about it until now.

My question is how long do these things last? Is there a shelf life, or is it like many fruit cakes, i.e. a product that future archaeologists will dig up thousands of years from now and still find to be edible?
                Steve

Comment

Normally you would mature a home made pud for a year before eating. I expect yours is just coming into its own.

enjoy

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
                    My question is how long do these things last? Is there a shelf life, or is it like many fruit cakes, i.e. a product that future archaeologists will dig up thousands of years from now and still find to be edible?
                    Thats about the measure of it
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

I hope your not about to consume fermentables

Comment

Originally posted by billybuntus View Post
                        I hope your not about to consume fermentables
                        Entirely possible. After all, it is getting close to Christmas..
                        Steve

Comment

And I can always send you another
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                            And I can always send you another
                            Say NO! to eating fermentables! You should know better!

Comment

This cold stabilisation business... Do I just move the wine outside in the snow?

Comment

Working...
                              X