Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Originally posted by billybuntus View Post
      Say NO! to eating fermentables! You should know better!
      too funny
      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
        Yup
        10-4

How long for? Its was -13 here this morning, its a Better bottle so not worried about that but would that low of a temp be an issue? How quickly does it tend to clear?

Comment

4 days should do it i reckon

we are due to be below freezing for the next 6 days
          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by billybuntus View Post
            10-4

How long for? Its was -13 here this morning, its a Better bottle so not worried about that but would that low of a temp be an issue? How quickly does it tend to clear?
            -13 is too cold. -6 is about the limit you want to go. Wine with 13% alcohol freezes at about -9.
            Steve

Comment

If I put it in my man cave it 0c at the moment, is that enough to do it or should I drop it outside during the day and put it in the cave overnight?

Comment

0 is cold enough, however, it will take longer to stabilise at that temp. 2-3 weeks should do it.
                Steve

Comment

should i leave light on in shed then as has most of my wine in, but well insulated at present under 2 ft snow
                  http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
                  http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

I was going to mention earlier that for those of you who put your wine out in the show, make sure you put something dark over it (I use black trash bags). The UV in sunlight isn't really good for it long term, though a few days should be ok. Just leaving a light on in the shed shouldn't hurt.
                    Steve

Comment

forgot to say there is a freezer in there which prob is enought heat
                      http://www.iecomputing.co.uk
                      http://www.volksfling.co.uk

Comment

Well its now outside wearing a black sack. Hoping it will clear before chrimbo!

Comment

well, 4 days and its still looking very cloudy no sign of any clearing. Pectin haze?

Comment

Right, I've done another pectin test in a small glass bottle, 1 part wine 4 parts methhs. Shook it too death and kept examining it infront of a 500w halogen. No stringyness in sight.

I've since racked half and half into two Better bottles to test for any co2. shaking both vigerously releases a pppssshhhhtttt. The wines still very cold.

I am finding it hard to believe theres still co2 in there as I degassed a few times before stabilising.

I've now got them both in front of the fire to warm through.

Comment

I would get themn to room temp and degass.

How old is the wine?

there are a ton of solids in a crimbo pud wine, and they will take time to drop out. You may wish to try adding finings (Ritchies kwik clear is my favourite)

it will drop very clear eventually.

Its not a wine I have trouble getting to clear given enough time. I am making one now, for crimbo 2011 though.....

regards
                              Bob
                              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
                                I would get themn to room temp and degass.

How old is the wine?

there are a ton of solids in a crimbo pud wine, and they will take time to drop out. You may wish to try adding finings (Ritchies kwik clear is my favourite)

it will drop very clear eventually.

Its not a wine I have trouble getting to clear given enough time. I am making one now, for crimbo 2011 though.....

regards
                                Bob
                                Well, I've continued to degass all night.... but I fear air is slipping back passed the stoppers in the BB's and fooling me because its not possible that theres that much gas in them.

I never have had any issue with clearing christmas pud wine which is why this is frustrating. I'm racking back into one Better Bottle and look at it again tommorow night when its at room temp.

I know Bob, I've semi promised 30 bottles to a few people (back in august) and now I only have 7 in storage and 30 in this batch....... hummpphhh

Wish I'd made it last christmas thats for sure!

Comment

Working...
                                X