Wine calculator...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

I’m Pete who wrote the free "YoBrew Beer, Wine, Cocktail & Jam Calculators" , I came across your site completely by accident & noticed there were a few concerns about the wine calculator’s accuracy. All the contents of the wines are editable & average values are used. So, if you know certain parameters are suspect, you can fill them in correctly.

Points to note:-
    There are literally 100’s of variables so don’t expect the calculations to be spot-on, but it should give a fairly accurate guide of what to expect (number-wise).
    Always read the labels on tinned/frozen fruits, supermarket juices etc & amend the calculator accordingly.
    By juggling quantities it should be possible (in most cases) to avoid the addition of acids, tannins etc.
    Tartaric acid is preferred as any excess is deposited as argols but other acids can be used.
    White wines do not generally require any tannin added.
    Dotted around the page, some “weight to tsp” equivalents are given.
    Version 2.1 is currently available, v2.2 should be ready later this year.
    http://www.petespintpot.co.uk

Comment

teaspoon = 4 grams (approx as one is volume the other weight )
      Life would be better if I could brew it as fast as we drink it!

Comment

those of us without scales to measure 1 gram

Take a known weight and pour into a neat pile, cut it neatly into two even piles and continue until you have the increment you need (a bit like a drug dealer, but you don't add other rubbish to the good stuff).

Or you could dilute (with a suitably grain-sized sugar) and weigh out more. So several ways of doing it. But two decimal place scales are cheaply available on the net these days. Gone are the days when the school lab balances had to be counted out and counted back in again!

RAB
        Last edited by oliver90owner; 20-06-2013, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by peterj View Post
          Hi,

I’m Pete who wrote the free "YoBrew Beer, Wine, Cocktail & Jam Calculators" , I came across your site completely by accident & noticed there were a few concerns about the wine calculator’s accuracy. All the contents of the wines are editable & average values are used. So, if you know certain parameters are suspect, you can fill them in correctly.

Points to note:-
          There are literally 100’s of variables so don’t expect the calculations to be spot-on, but it should give a fairly accurate guide of what to expect (number-wise).
          Always read the labels on tinned/frozen fruits, supermarket juices etc & amend the calculator accordingly.
          By juggling quantities it should be possible (in most cases) to avoid the addition of acids, tannins etc.
          Tartaric acid is preferred as any excess is deposited as argols but other acids can be used.
          White wines do not generally require any tannin added.
          Dotted around the page, some “weight to tsp” equivalents are given.
          Version 2.1 is currently available, v2.2 should be ready later this year.
          I'm a big fan of the calculator Pete, both the wine and beer one in fact. I've made some good beers using the 'boil hops in water method' and the wine calculator is useful for helping me to formulate my own recipes, with the emphasis on me formulating the recipe and your calculator being a useful extra tool. I appreciate the effort you put into it and also particularly liked the almanac this year!

Comment

The simplest "solution" as long as what you want to measure is water soluble is to make up a solution and measure an appropriate amount into your wine/must/whatever.

eg if you want to add 1g of citric acid to a gal of wine and your scales only weigh to +/- 5g. Make up a 10g of citric in 100g (=100ml) of water. this is a 10% Solution. now each 10ml of this solution will contain 1g of citric. if you wanted to add 0.1g to a gallon then either add 1ml of solution or make up the original solution in 10x the volume (ie 1L of water) and add the same 10ml.

Obviously, this requires that your substance is soluble in water (or ethanol if you like).

been doing it in the lab like this for many years.

http://markblades.com
            Bebere cerevisiae immodoratio
            These days I'm drinking in Charcot's Joint.

Comment

Version 2.2 of the FREE “Peter’s Beer, Wine & Jam Calc’s” is available from www.yobrew.co.uk/calculators.php as well as a PDF guide to accompany it.

I have “listened” to the users of the Calc’s & then produced a simpler, non-editable version (EasyCalc), thus reducing the long, often confusing lists of figures. I hope this will make life easier & more logical for any potential users of the calculators.
              http://www.petespintpot.co.uk

Comment

I have not posted since clashing with this poster over 2 1/2 monts ago.

I would be very, very wary of this web site. Particularly if any of the calcs are based on a similar basis to his posts in this thread,

then the results could be waaay out. Just beware, and if you do not understand the maths of the calculation (so able to check the results are reliable) I recommend you do not rely on them. Most may well be correct, but when the OP insists that T&L syrup only contains 3.875g solids in 5ml, one must suspect any other calculations.

Said my piece and I will go back to watching and not posting for the foreseeable future.

RAB

Comment

Thanks....just downloaded. Will see how it works out.

Just read Rabs post, will watch out for what the calc says...cheers.
                  Last edited by Technotrucker; 28-10-2013, 08:46 PM.

Comment

Rab I simply will not tolerate "open warfare" and members engaging each other in this way on this forum.

I see it elsewhere and do not like it.

If you have concerns about content of posts then use the "report post" function and this will flag it to the moderation team who will take action if it is deemed necessary

regards
                    Bob
                    N.G.W.B.J.
                    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

I am a massive fan of Pete’s calculator(s) and appreciate all the hard work Pete puts in, such that brewer’s like me can use it for free. No advertising, no spam, no “Now get the full version”. The free version is the version we all use. It has taken a massive effort to get it to where it is now. Before the release of his latest version there are several months of review process where those that are deeply into accurate calculations examine his work and provide feedback. This peer review helps improve the quality of the release. The voluntary work of these reviewers is also much appreciated. They put in their time effort and expertise for the benefit of brewers that want this type of calculator. I noticed a mention in this thread about syrup and can see that this is simply the difference between “squeezy” treacle and tinned treacle. It is quite clear when you read the calculator text. Is the calculator perfect? No that is why new versions come out, but I would say that right now with the new version all reported issues have been addressed and reviewed.
                      Perhaps this is a point in time to appreciate those, that for some reason, are driven to make home brewing better for all of us. Web sites like this one, Pete’s calculators and loads more sites and tools and forum contributors. I thank you all. If I or anyone else spots any issues with Pete’s calculator(s) then let’s, in a most friendly way, provide constructive feedback to make an even better future for home brewing. Please keep up the great work guys.

Comment

Working...
                      X