mount vesuvius

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mount vesuvius

Read the instuctions on my oak chippings(dust) said you can add at start or end of fermentation so decided it would be safe enough to put them in now as fermentation had slowed down.
    Have you ever seen the mint in a cola bottle trick well thats what happend red wine froffing out the neck of the carboy all over the floor lucky i had clean fermentation bucket near by to poor some in . wont try that again just took me over an hour cleaning up
    http://pressboost.co.uk/

Originally posted by snowdog View Post
    Read the instuctions on my oak chippings(dust) said you can add at start or end of fermentation so decided it would be safe enough to put them in now as fermentation had slowed down.
    Have you ever seen the mint in a cola bottle trick well thats what happend red wine froffing out the neck of the carboy all over the floor lucky i had clean fermentation bucket near by to poor some in . wont try that again just took me over an hour cleaning up
    Heheee, lovely jubely, not for you of course
    If adding anything to a live ferment then syphon/ pour off a pint of the liquid, add adjuncts etc stir and allow to calm before returning to d/j, those yeasties can be crazy dude's

Also with the oak "dust" it imparts very little flavour so to get the benefit you either need to add at the start of the ferment or add after , when ageing
    Discount Home Brew Supplies
    Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
    Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
    National Wine Judge
    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Another lesson learnt

Comment

Originally posted by snowdog View Post

Hope any carpet is not soaked with wine or your wife's favourite furniture. SD another thing to be very careful about in this home wine making adventure is to make sure your wines have stabilized, below 0 SG and if sweetening add sorbate. We do not like popping their corks and indoor volcanoes erupting in your cold storage room - it make one terrible mess. Cheers DAW

Comment

Brewing area hard floor so not to bad to clean up

Comment

The finer oak dust, shavings, chips, etc., will impart their goodness faster and lighter than the nice cubes, staves, or barrels, which impart their goodness slower, but much stronger and bolder, so one might wish to add chips at the start and then barrel age or use cubes or staves. Also, experimentation with different types of oak can be a nice lesson.

Have fun.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Working...
            X