No announcement yet.

Spontaneous Shiraz Eruption

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No fear - I'm not brave enough to confront a resentful, furious Shiraz.
    Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Maybe a top hat, tail coat, chair and whip are in order?
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Mrs. Goldseal only lets me use the whip on weekends.
        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by goldseal View Post
            ROFLMAO
            Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Ahh... now I understand the shortage of pics from grapefest... X rated are not suitable for this site.
              I wish I was a glow worm
              Cos a glow worm's never glum
              It's hard to be unhappy
              When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Originally posted by Zebedee View Post
                  Ahh... now I understand the shortage of pics from grapefest... X rated are not suitable for this site.
                  There were some particularly scary pics of Karl.

By the way, I'm SURE this Shiraz still smells eggy (stabilising at the moment). Nobody else can smell it though
                  Pete the Instructor

Comment

It' not a happy day in the Goldseal household.

I was planning to bottle the Shiraz today, but Mrs. Goldseal had a taste, and said something was wrong. It's that eggy taste/smell again . Stirred with a sanitised copper pipe and it abated, but I can't get rid totally.

So, instead of bottling, we spent ages racking to DJs and stirring with copper. I'll wait a bit longer before opening a DJ to see if it is still there. If so, I'll be taking a sample back to the HBS to see if they can tell me how this can happen to a kit wine.
                    Pete the Instructor

Comment

Well, I emailed the HBS, who in turn passed it on to Ritchie. This is the reply I got. Your comments are welcomed :

Some 'YEASTS' do produce more hydrogen sulphide than others, particularly
                      red yeasts.
                      The kit to keep it must have sulphite. to make it stable in the Box and
                      therefore a long ferment,
                      or leaving on the lees too long will also give added sulphide.
                      I recommend to add more sulphite say 50 p.p.m. to the gallon
                      initially. (1 campden tablet to the gallon).
                      This then turns the suphide to sulphate and it drops out.
                      The chemistry behind this is that Hydrogen sulphide and sulphur dioxide
                      react together to
                      produce water and elemental sulphur H2S +S2 -> H2o +2s the sulphur
                      precipitates and is removed
                      by racking or filteration. (Quote from professor G. Fowles. P228 Wine making
                      in Style.)
                      I hope that no more sugar was added to the kit as some suppliers now add
                      sodium metabisulphite
                      to sugar.(Noted on the packet!)
                      Pete the Instructor

Comment

Well, I emailed the HBS, who in turn passed it on to Ritchie. This is the reply I got. Your comments are welcomed :

Some 'YEASTS' do produce more hydrogen sulphide than others, particularly
                        red yeasts.
                        The kit to keep it must have sulphite. to make it stable in the Box and
                        therefore a long ferment,
                        or leaving on the lees too long will also give added sulphide.
                        I recommend to add more sulphite say 50 p.p.m. to the gallon
                        initially. (1 campden tablet to the gallon).
                        This then turns the suphide to sulphate and it drops out.
                        The chemistry behind this is that Hydrogen sulphide and sulphur dioxide
                        react together to
                        produce water and elemental sulphur H2S +S2 -> H2o +2s the sulphur
                        precipitates and is removed
                        by racking or filteration. (Quote from professor G. Fowles. P228 Wine making
                        in Style.)
                        I hope that no more sugar was added to the kit as some suppliers now add
                        sodium metabisulphite
                        to sugar.(Noted on the packet!)
                        So you reckon that that's why it was a bit on the "eggy" side then Pete ?

So what's the recommended "cure"?

I understood that some reds will smell a bit eggy if they have insufficent nutrient, and guessing from the "answer" it's for different reasons ?? or am I just being thick ?

regards

JtFB
                        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Well ....

I thought H2S was produced by some yeasts if there was insufficient nutrient, or if there was too much sulphur in the must in the first place.

I would be interested to know how this could happen in a kit (or if there any other reasons I could have H2S in the wine).

More pressing, I think, is a second opinion on their advice.
                          Pete the Instructor

Comment

The way I read what was said is take a free so2 reading bring total so2 to 50ppm this will react to form Sulfate and that will drop out and fix the problem. Just use a titration measuring device from there you will be able to do a math equation to come up with the right amount to add.
                            http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

Well ....

I thought H2S was produced by some yeasts if there was insufficient nutrient, or if there was too much sulphur in the must in the first place.

I would be interested to know how this could happen in a kit (or if there any other reasons I could have H2S in the wine).

More pressing, I think, is a second opinion on their advice.
                              It's all in yer head, eggy wine. eggy wine, eggy wine, 1 2 3 walk like a chicken, have you considered changing ones Y fronts, sock's maybe, they have a big impact on bouquet you know. Just kidding mate keep onto em!!
                              Discount Home Brew Supplies
                              Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                              Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                              National Wine Judge
                              N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by rjb222 View Post
                                The way I read what was said is take a free so2 reading bring total so2 to 50ppm this will react to form Sulfate and that will drop out and fix the problem. Just use a titration measuring device from there you will be able to do a math equation to come up with the right amount to add.
                                Problem there is that titret (or other sulphite) test kits are not readily available here in the UK
                                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Working...
                                X