Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd run on the lees

Hello ppls

Ive had a 5 gal Heron bay Cabernet on the go for just under 2 weeks, still in the primary and the airlock has finished blooping (steady 20c so Im pretty sure its finished, tho not tested).

Ive been meaning to move it to a 5 gal 'better bottle' but not got round to it yet...

Is it possible for me to reuse the lees now from this kit and get another batch on the go ?

I was thinking of adding all of the lees from this 5 gal ferment into a 1 gal demijohn, and filling up with red grape juice (and sugar), is that somewhere near close to how its done ? Or would the lees here make another 5 gal ?

Or am I better off throwing it down the drain ?

Here's hoping
    Last edited by bryanc; 03-11-2008, 10:30 PM. Reason: I cnat spelel

First this is something that I have never attempted, or thought about before.

The lees from a wine kit (even a grape skin kit) are probably insufficient to make a second batch. However adding red grape juice (and sugar if required) sounds like it might work. Shouldn't need yeast, but might need yeast nutrient.

The more I think, the more I wonder what you would gain, but hey it sounds like its worth a try.

Steve
    Last edited by cpfan; 04-11-2008, 01:59 AM.
    the procrastinating wine maker in the Niagara Region of Ontario Canada
    "why do today what you can put off till next week"

Comment

I think all you would have is a large yeast bed to start your ferment with. I have used this method with beer making and it works well for about three times then the yeast mutates. The skins could be used to beef up a lower end kit but there would not be enough to make a second run wine. You would need to actually ferment from grape to get enough from the skins for a second run.It takes in our area anyway with the grapes this year 100 lbs grapes for five gallons wine. It takes a lot of skins to make a second run.
      http://www.winensuds.com/ Gotta love this hobby

Comment

I am trying to think of positive reasons for doing this. What you are suggesting is making a (sort of) wine number 2 by using a ready to go, live yeast colony from a kit. The only advantage I can see is that you will save a quid on a packet of yeast. Results aren't predictable, if it tuned out to be a great wine then replicating it would be a problem. If it were me, I would chuck the lees down the sink and start a wine number 2 with fresh yeast. On the other hand there is the experimental, journey into the unknown side of things...............
        National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys. I was thinking by doing this I would end up with something with a little more body than wine number 2, in the hope that some of the lees wouldnt just be yeasty nastyness... I didnt realise people only did this when they had grape skins. ahh well, good job I asked first

Cheers

Comment

Exactly, second run wines are based on extracting what is left from the first run fruit, they will alway's be a lighter wine, lower in body and colour etc to the first run, but as you suggest here by only using the lees, your flogging a dead horse and to be honest nothing is to be gained.
            Discount Home Brew Supplies
            Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
            Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
            National Wine Judge
            N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Working...
            X