Montepulciano - vinegar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montepulciano - vinegar

I can detect a slight vinegar smell in it. It's topped off 6 gallons. I followed the kit instructions to the letter, with the exception of contuing with bulk aging instead of bottling. I thought I'd get all the sediment out first. I took a sample and it's nice and clear.

Jack Kellers page says to add camden and referment. She is already stabilized, so refermenting is out. Should I add campden tabs? Or is this batch a goner?

Smell is very light. I was wondering if it was just the inch of exposed wine at the top of it. Or maybe something wasn't sterilized right.

Anyone got thoughts?

Definitely add some K-meta.

Somewhere between 1/4 tsp and 3/8 tsp.

I'll bet you did not add any extra when you decided to bulk age, and were not topped up completely. How long since you stabilized?

Pat

Comment

Originally posted by P cuthbert
      Definitely add some K-meta.

Somewhere between 1/4 tsp and 3/8 tsp.

I'll bet you did not add any extra when you decided to bulk age, and were not topped up completely. How long since you stabilized?

Pat
      How did you know I didn't? It's been topped up. It's been about a month since stabilization. Last night we tasted it. The first time she tasted it she said it smelled vinegar. I couldn't taste vinegar, but I smelled it. I can't be sure. It's dry and sort of acetic, but tasty. I almost ran this across the street to my friends house, but couldn't think of an excuse to do it. I guess a good rule is to add when bulk aging? I need to think outside the box a little more. Thanks Pat.

Comment

take it easy dude...

I also say add the extra sulphite now and go ahead and bottle. I bet the wine is OK and you are just antsy and paranoid. Relax.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

Well, 6 half gallons and 15 bordeaux bottles sounds like fun!

Comment

jojo;

I opened a bottle of 3 year old Monte last night.

I thought there was a tinge of vinegar to it, and put it aside for a bit. This wine really opened up after it had been in the glass for an hour.

Don't hesitate to decant this one and allow it to "breathe".

Pat

Comment

jojo;

I opened a bottle of 3 year old Monte last night.

I thought there was a tinge of vinegar to it, and put it aside for a bit. This wine really opened up after it had been in the glass for an hour.

Don't hesitate to decant this one and allow it to "breathe".

Pat

Will do. You kept it that long?

Thanks, Pat.

Comment

I have enough wine at home now that I can put it away for 2 to 5 years and not miss it.

Visitors are always welcome.

Pat

Comment

I have enough wine at home now that I can put it away for 2 to 5 years and not miss it.

Visitors are always welcome.

Pat
                  Pat, knowing that you recently moved to your new home, how did you move all of your wine?

Merilyn
                  Dance like no one is watching. . .

Comment

Merilyn;

The batches that were not in bottle (3) were transferred to a plastic carboy, and the bottles were all packed in wine boxes. Then into the "U-haul" and down the road for 800 km.

Then everything was unloaded and stacked until I could prepare the cellar for the wine. I am still short of racking, so some of the wine is still in the cases.

Pat

Comment

Working...
                    X