Quick kit and yeast question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick kit and yeast question

I'm mainly a beer brewer but have made a few batches of the No 1 and No 2 juice wines, but SWMBO kindly bought me a Cantina Pinot Grigio kit to make for her and her mates
    With most beer kits I throw away the yeast and use a pack of S04 or Nottingham instead. It is advisable to do the same for wine kits? I have a stock of K1V-1116 and EC-1118 or would something else be better?

The first time I make any kit I use everything that comes with the kit and follow the instructions to the letter. The reason I do this is so that I know exactly how it is supposed to turn out, then the next time (if there is a next time) I think of alterations and tweaks and apply them one or two at a time.
    National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

One thing to bear in mind with wine kits is that the juice concentration process binds sugars and proteins in such a way that makes it difficult for some yeast strains to ferment them to complete dryness. That's why you'll usually find a very robust yeast in the kit. While these yeasts may not always appear to be the optimal choice for a particular grape variety, they are guaranteed to finish the job without a lot of fuss.

I learned this lesson the hard way a few years ago when I purchased a top of the line Cabernet Sauvignon kit. I thought I would outsmart the manufacturer and use a "designer" yeast instead of the generic sachet of Premier Cuvée that came in the box. Fermentation never did complete and I ended up with a small amount of residual sugar that ruined what I thought was otherwise a very good wine.
      Steve

Comment

Well I'd say that it's probably better to follow Steve and Richards advice/suggestion.

If you're set on using your own separate yeast, then I'd say that I'd go with the K1V - it's better at retaining the subtle flavours/aroma's....... EC-1118 does too good a job of stripping those away and leaving too much of a bland "champagne-ness" about the wine.

regards

jtfb
        Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I'll use the kit yeast then.

As this is the first time I've made such a large batch of wine, I'll have to use one of my precious beer fermenting buckets for primary, secondary will have to split between 5 demijohns unless I can sneak in an order to the HBS and include a better bottle with all my own goodies

Comment

In actuality, the yeast that came with the kit is most likely the EC1118 or the same yeast from another producer.

Comment

The yeast in Cantina kits is turbo yeast hence why its such a massive pack, the kit is designed to be ready in 5 days, fermented dry after 3 standard yeasts would not achieve this.
              As all above stick with the yeast in the kit.
              Discount Home Brew Supplies
              Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
              Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
              National Wine Judge
              N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Originally posted by Duffbeer View Post
                The yeast in Cantina kits is turbo yeast hence why its such a massive pack, the kit is designed to be ready in 5 days, fermented dry after 3 standard yeasts would not achieve this.
                As all above stick with the yeast in the kit.
                so without sounding snobby, does that mean, that because they're aimed at speed of production that they're not likely to be as good quality ???

or maybe that they're designed so that you have something too drink and some to age ????

sorry for such a daft question but not being a kit maker, these sorts of details are new .......

regards

jtfb
                Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

They are of a reasonable quality, not the standard of a beaverdale etc, but that is shown in the price.
                  I often make these when stocks are running low and I need a fast turn around easy quaffer.
                  As regards aging, a month or so will improve slightly, but they really don't have the gumption to improve much further.
                  Discount Home Brew Supplies
                  Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
                  Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
                  National Wine Judge
                  N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

The kit is for SWMBO and her mates for the christmas and new year period, it's not going to last much more than that, so an easy quaffer sounds spot on!
                    I've offered the use of one of my cornies but she wants it bottled. I think a load of 1 and 2 litre pet bottles will be fine instead of 30 odd glass botttles and corks, it'll be easier for her to ake it around to one of her mates and leave me in peace
                    Last edited by grumpysod; 29-11-2009, 05:28 PM.

Comment

I used one of my beer fvs but managed to get in an order to the HBS, so I've a better bottle for next time that I make one.
                      I was surprised at the lack of foaming, I'm used to large crops of yeast with beer - this had a small layer about 1cm on top and when racking it had about the same on the bottom of teh fv.

I've added the first part of the finings and will add the second part in the morning - it should be bottled by the weekend and knowing swmbo and her mates it may just last to christmas.

Comment

Working...
                      X