Beaverdale 6 bottle Rojo Tinto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beaverdale 6 bottle Rojo Tinto

Just started off my first wine kit in a 1 gall DJ. I have read the instructions very carefully, but I am confused
    OG was 1.080, so got that bit right. It states that you ferment until 990-994 and then add stabiliser and shake several times over 3 days to de-gas, surely this will mix up the sediment as well ?

When it gets to 990-994, would I be better racking to another DJ and then stabilising, de-gassing and fining ?
    The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

The sediment should settle out again pretty quickly once it is stabilised and degassed. No need to rack before stabilising.

I actually prefer to have my ferments stirred up daily throughout the ferment as this keeps the yeast in suspension and avoids any risk of anaerobic pockets building up in the sediment.
    Cheers,
    Dave.
    If I won the lottery I'd spend half the money on wine, women and song.
    But I'd probably just waste the rest of it!

Comment

Prolly best to stick with instruction as you'll increase racking losses by racking twice.

Plus the sediment helps as it creates nucleation points for the carbonic acid too attach to and come out as gaseous CO2. ....
      Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

SleepyDave & fatbloke, I bow to your superior knowledge, I will do exactly as it says on the tin.

Comment

Originally posted by vino-tinto View Post
          SleepyDave & fatbloke, I bow to your superior knowledge, I will do exactly as it says on the tin.
          Superior knowledge ?......NOT !

Greater racking loses equal less final product......ergo, tightwad....whether its my brew or not....
          Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

Just racked for storage, had a little taste, not bad, doesn't hit the back of the throat, could do with some pepper added next time.
            Time will tell. I'll leave it till spring and see how it matures.

Comment

if you are after some peppery taste, to tickle the back of the throat...

try a rose petal wine and drink it young, the peppery taste will fade over time.
              you can get dry rose petals from the HBS

Comment

I make a lot of the Beaverdale Rioja - usually five of the 30 bottle kits at a time in a single fermenter.

I like a bit more bite in my wine so I add 500g of raisins, 500g sugar and 1kg of frozen grape skins for each 30 bottle kit. I replace the yeast with Lalvin RC212 and and add 1 tsp Tronozymol per gal. Then I mature it with oak chips for 3 months when its finishes and drink at 12 to 18 month old.

It's pretty good.
                Cheers,
                Dave.
                If I won the lottery I'd spend half the money on wine, women and song.
                But I'd probably just waste the rest of it!

Comment

Working...
                X