No announcement yet.

Lychee Wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have made many variants of this recipe, some of which have secured prizes at comps. It never dissapoints.

My favourite version is 1 litre grape concentrate and two tins of lychee per gallon. Very vinous and full of fruitiness.

regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
      Very vinous and full of fruitiness.
      Started last night - it is now sitting in a bucket on the kitchen bench fermenting away - smells beautiful

Comment

• And after a brief delay it's in the bucket @1.085, smelling glorious and full of Eastern promise.
        Now bottling 20DJs of 2013 red and making room to rack 5 carboys of 2014 red to the DJs where they can wait for another winter.
        Thank goodness for eBay! (local cache of DJs)

Comment

• I've now made several lychee variants and one that has been the best goes like this...

For 2 gallons:

4 x 425g John West lychees LIGHT syrup
          4 x Tins Morrison’s Value Peaches
          4 Litre WGJ
          2 Litre Apple Juice
          135ml WGC (happened to be lying around in the fridge)
          Sugar to 1.080
          4 tsp pectolase
          1/8th tsp tannin
          3 tsp Tronozymol + D47
          4.5 tsp Tartaric acid
          1.5tsp Citric Acid

Steven

Devon

Comment

• I love this Thread!

It starts off being very instructive, answering questions and talking about modifications and then it gets a bit 'back slappy' as you all compare competitions you have won with this wine. Then it turns into a kind of Comparethelychee.com as you bandy around different prices, like a lychee auction: "Eighty one pence at tesco, eighty one pence, eighty two pence at aldi, any advance on eighty two pence, do I hear eighty pence? Eighty pence? Eighy pence at lidel, seventy nine pence at sainsburys". Then, oh no! The shelves became scarce of tinned lychees, we are in LycheeWatch. Winemakers creeping around the supermarkets, with tins of soup taped to their head as camoflage. As soon as somebody spots one, the shout went up "THERE SHE, um, well just sits on the shelf!" : And everyone charges to that supermarket for 438 tins, winemakers ramming each other with their trolleys and throwing less valuable tins, like peaches, at each other. Lychee panic buying!

And then calm as everybody has enough lychees for wine.

My question is this: most recipies, except for the last one posted, seem to go for either white grape concentrate or the white grape/apple juice combo. Would it add to the wine to use both the concentrate and a litre of white grape and a litre of apple juice? Or is that superfluous?

Just remember "In times of real panic, people don't go shopping".

Diolch.

Comment

• Originally posted by Leon View Post
              My question is this: most recipies, except for the last one posted, seem to go for either white grape concentrate or the white grape/apple juice combo. Would it add to the wine to use both the concentrate and a litre of white grape and a litre of apple juice? Or is that superfluous?
              If you are adding a litre of concentrate then the extras wont add much at all. If you are adding just the small tin of wine enhancer, then more body will be added with the grape juice and apple juice.

I wouldn't have described it as back slappy, sorry that you see it that way, its meant as an indication that it stands up to other wines made with more "traditional" recipes

Regards
              bob
              bob
              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

most recipes, except for the last one posted, seem to go for either white grape concentrate or the white grape/apple juice combo.

The last one posted DOES go for the WGJ/AJ combo... :O)
                Steven

Devon

Comment

I wouldn't have described it as back slappy, sorry that you see it that way, its meant as an indication that it stands up to other wines made with more "traditional" recipes
                  That is how I read it, I didn't mean any negative inference, it just seemed a snappy phrase to sum up the listing of plaudits. One day I hope to get 'back slappy' about my own wine plaudits, joint flexibility allowing. You're not confusing it with happpy slapping are you? I wasn't accusing you all of beating people up, recording it on your mobile phones then stealing their lychees.

I feel all defensive now, like I'm backed in a corner and fending you all off with nought but my hydrometer and little spray bottle of sulphite solution. "You'll never ferment me alive!"

And Mr Millbilly, I haven't worked out how to get more than one quote in a reply, I was differentiating between the camps that use concentrate and the camps that use fruit juices, specifically the apple juice and grape juice combo. Yours was the only recipie that did use both juice and concentrate, that I noticed, was my point. I have a little can of grape concentrate, as per the original recipie, and was wondering if using the supermarket grape and apple juice would add to it. Just, you know, um, asking.

Any way, well done on those awards *dothing my cap*

I'm going over here, to the naughty step.

TAXI!

Comment

That is how I read it, I didn't mean any negative inference, it just seemed a snappy phrase to sum up the listing of plaudits. One day I hope to get 'back slappy' about my own wine plaudits, joint flexibility allowing. You're not confusing it with happpy slapping are you? I wasn't accusing you all of beating people up, recording it on your mobile phones then stealing their lychees.

I feel all defensive now, like I'm backed in a corner and fending you all off with nought but my hydrometer and little spray bottle of sulphite solution. "You'll never ferment me alive!"

And Mr Millbilly, I haven't worked out how to get more than one quote in a reply, I was differentiating between the camps that use concentrate and the camps that use fruit juices, specifically the apple juice and grape juice combo. Yours was the only recipie that did use both juice and concentrate, that I noticed, was my point. I have a little can of grape concentrate, as per the original recipie, and was wondering if using the supermarket grape and apple juice would add to it. Just, you know, um, asking.

Any way, well done on those awards *dothing my cap*

I'm going over here, to the naughty step.

TAXI!
                    So have you made a batch yet?.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mashman View Post
                      So have you made a batch yet?.
                      No, I'm all thread and no ferment. I was waiting on the answer, and finding the time to pop t' shop, for the juices. I'm good to go though, I'll be starting one tomorrow, depending on how late I sleep; I'm on nights.

Comment

... And everyone charges to that supermarket for 438 tins, winemakers ramming each other with their trolleys and throwing less valuable tins, like peaches, at each other....
                        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

No, I'm all thread and no ferment. I was waiting on the answer, and finding the time to pop t' shop, for the juices. I'm good to go though, I'll be starting one tomorrow, depending on how late I sleep; I'm on nights.
                          I made mine using only supermarket juice, including rubicon lychee juice. I am very happy with how it turned out.
                          I am much less happy with the angle of lean on my garden fence this morning though.

Comment

Yes, I see what you mean now.

Anyway, Bob's given you advice on that

Elsewhere you asked about making "double quotations".

Just use the 'reply with quote' function, and then copy/paste the whole quoted piece, then edit to leave the text that you specifically want to repsond to. When you do the 'reply with quote' thing, you'll notice that a field code appears at either end of the quoted text. each one looks something like this [QUOTE = Leon;xyzabc].

The code doesn't appear in the posted message, but this is the important part. You can copy/paste/quote any text by placing it within these field codes.

Originally posted by Leon View Post
                            That is how I read it...TAXI!
                            "You'll never ferment me alive!"

TAXI!
                            Last edited by Canonmillbilly; 13-12-2011, 10:14 AM. Reason: Terrible spelling
                            Steven

Devon

Comment

No, I'm all thread and no ferment.

Properly made me laugh out loud

top banana
                              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

Properly made me laugh out loud
                                :
                                Well laugh no more Sir, for my lychees are a fermenting. I went with a litre of white grape juice, a litre of apple juice and a can of grape concentrate. Also I have kept one of my two tins of lychees back to add later, around the 1020 mark.

Originally posted by Canonmillbilly View Post
                                The code doesn't appear in the posted message, but this is the important part. You can copy/paste/quote any text by placing it within these field codes.
                                By Jove, I thinnk I've got it! Thank you kindly sir.

Oh, and to keep in the spirit of the thread, my Lychees were from Home Bargains, not sure how much though, the missus saw them after I couldn't find any, that bloody woman lives in Home bargains, Although I do think I was looking in the wrong place, I was by the tinned fruit.

Comment

Working...
                                X