• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rich View Post
    The recipe went like this..

2x tins lychees from Tesco in LIGHT syrup
    1x small tin WGC
    900g Sugar (or thereabouts, 1.080 is what I aimed for)
    2 tsp pectolase
    1/8th tsp tannin
    3tsp Tartric acid. (measured to 4ml with a Ritchies acid test kit)

Rich
    Is tartric acid the same as tartaric acid?

Comment

yes

but not to be confused with tantric
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Right here goes never made this wine but i am going to do a five gall batch.

The recipe went like this..

2x tins lychees from Tesco in LIGHT syrup
        1x small tin WGC
        900g Sugar (or thereabouts, 1.080 is what I aimed for)
        2 tsp pectolase
        1/8th tsp tannin
        3tsp Tartric acid. (measured to 4ml with a Ritchies acid test kit)

so would i be right putting 10 tins of lychees in i don't have any wgc can i use white grape juice or sultanas if so how much of both or either ???
        i will sugar to 1080 would it still be 2tsp of pectolase or would it be 10 ?? is it the same with the tanin and acid do i just times by 5 don't want to get it wrong doing a 5 gall batch will use a 71b yeast

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
          Right here goes never made this wine but i am going to do a five gall batch.

so would i be right putting 10 tins of lychees in i don't have any wgc can i use white grape juice or sultanas if so how much of both or either ???
          i will sugar to 1080 would it still be 2tsp of pectolase or would it be 10 ?? is it the same with the tanin and acid do i just times by 5 don't want to get it wrong doing a 5 gall batch will use a 71b yeast
          Yep 10 tins to 5 gal is ok, if you have no wgc then use 5 ltrs of wg juice and 5 ltrs apple juice, all the rest x by 5 should be fine.
          The 71b or D47 will both work fine, you getting adventurous Daz
          Discount Home Brew Supplies
          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
          National Wine Judge
          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Started a new batch of "wonder wine" today. It ended up going over the 2 gal mark so I chucked another tin of lychees in.

Edit. Used D47 this time.
            National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

Got some wgc thought that by the time i had bought the grape juice and apple juice it would probably work out at the same cost might as well try and stick to the recepie would i need 5 tins (i bought five) would it need yeast nutrient and a b1 tab if so how much

Comment

I should read up more just seen the bit about the nutrient and the b1 tab in the recepie would it need 5 in five gall or just 1

Usual type of thing, went in Demijon at 1.020, fermented to dry

sorry more questions does this mean started at 1080 fermented to 1020 then racked off then left to ferment out
                Last edited by Darren; 10-11-2008, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                  I should read up more just seen the bit about the nutrient and the b1 tab in the recepie would it need 5 in five gall or just 1
                  Daz it depends on the nutrient your using, some has b1 already in it, but normaly yes 5 of each.
                  sorry more questions does this mean started at 1080 fermented to 1020 then racked off then left to ferment out
                  Yup!

And yes use all 5 of the tins of concentrate.
                  National Wine Judge
                  N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Thanks for that Karl i never got round to starting the lychees wine tonight just bottled a 25 ish bottle kit 25 bottles and i drunk the ish bit will start it tomorrow and let you know how it goes cheers mate

looks more like 24 bottles now
                    Last edited by Darren; 11-11-2008, 01:18 AM.

Comment

• Started the lychee wine last night bublng away very nicely only thing is ive done my back again lifting the 5 gall tub that's why im on here at 4.15 am and not in bed woke up at 2am and i was in such agony from reading the posts it sounds like a teriffic wine i used a D47 yeast (Its my last one Karl i will have to take a trip over for some more) Thanks for the advice im sure i will need some more will keep you posted with how its going

Comment

• Originally posted by Darren View Post
                        i was in such agony from reading the posts

yeah..there's one or two post'ers have the same effect on me
                        I wish I was a glow worm
                        Cos a glow worm's never glum
                        It's hard to be unhappy
                        When the sun shines out your bum

Comment

• Love it!

Mind, I hope I'm not one
                          Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

• reached 1020 racked off looking good leaving to ferment out now

Comment

• Reading taken 1002 its been the same reading for over a week ive had this trouble before it dosen't seem to want to get down to 990 ish i used a d47 yeast its still bubling but only every now and again i would say once every 10 minutes has it finished or should i leave it a bit longer

Comment

• Originally posted by Darren View Post
                                Reading taken 1002 its been the same reading for over a week ive had this trouble before it dosen't seem to want to get down to 990 ish i used a d47 yeast its still bubling but only every now and again i would say once every 10 minutes has it finished or should i leave it a bit longer
                                Nutrient, daz, if you have any tronyzymol, use it, if not a vit b1 tablet and 1/2 a tspoon of nutrient with a slight airation of the must and keep it warm.....ish...
                                National Wine Judge
                                N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

Working...
                                X