This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by billybuntus View Post
    I've not tried it yet this is my first st peters kit but I'm really looking forward to it. I'll let you know if I open a bottle before you do
    i feel a taste swap comming on!! Or a kind of russian rullete - who will be the first to crack and go for a taste?

I am part jedi Owl. Your mind tricks do not work on me.

A day without wine is a day without sunshine!

Comment

• I have just started two gallons of peach juice wine
      The peach juice is from LiDL and the white grape juice is from ALDI.
      less than £3 to make a gallon of wine.

Comment

• Originally posted by owlwithoutfeathers View Post
        i feel a taste swap comming on!! Or a kind of russian rullete - who will be the first to crack and go for a taste?

My bottles are clearing nicely young padawan but there is a least another month before I shall be sampling.

Although I have rather rudely sampled a bottled of brewferm belgian triple which was only 2 weeks old and I must say I am very very impressed. Although I wouldn't fancy it as a session beer (unless I wanted to wake up the next day with a seriously impressive hangover).

Comment

• Originally posted by billybuntus View Post
          My bottles are clearing nicely young padawan but there is a least another month before I shall be sampling.

Although I have rather rudely sampled a bottled of brewferm belgian triple which was only 2 weeks old and I must say I am very very impressed. Although I wouldn't fancy it as a session beer (unless I wanted to wake up the next day with a seriously impressive hangover).
          Ha! Ok; let me know when you plan to sample the St Peters. I hear you on the Brewferm, they are truly excellent kits. I've done the Framboise, Diabolo amd Abbey over the past 2 years and they are fantastic. But give them at least 3 months; and be careful priming them. They are indeed rocket fuel!!

Comment

• Racked and oaked my Merlot from Grapefest 2010....

Ahem.

**EDIT**

If anyone reading this has any doubts about Grapefest attendance, I've just tried some of the wine unoaked during syphoning (the 'angel's' share?) The wine is MUCH better than what you get with kits. Probably not a very robust thing to say about a wine, but you can taste the grape. I'd happily bottle it now.
            Last edited by koomber; 29-07-2011, 03:54 PM.
            Dutch Gunderson: Who are you and how did you get in here?
            Frank Drebin: I'm a locksmith. And, I'm a locksmith.
            -Police Squad

Comment

Ha! Ok; let me know when you plan to sample the St Peters. I hear you on the Brewferm, they are truly excellent kits. I've done the Framboise, Diabolo amd Abbey over the past 2 years and they are fantastic. But give them at least 3 months; and be careful priming them. They are indeed rocket fuel!!
              Roger, We'll make it a date. 26th aug.

Diablo and abbey are next on my list. How does the framboise taste?

Comment

these are not the oak cubes you are looking for!
                N.G.W.B.J.
                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Ohhh the perfect oak cube. I dream of the perfect oak cube . . .

Hang on . . Jedi mind trick! No! no! no!

I digress . ..

Diabolo is truly excellent - nice and light (although it is 8%!!): a "Duvel" clone, if you will (though some say its not, it is . .)

Abbey is brilliant - nice and dark. A nice winter belgian ale. Like "Chimay". (and will put you on the floor . . )

Framboise - i just find it disappointing. I've done it three times now. it doesnt seem to get that nice thick, juicy, almost creamy taste you want from it (although consider adding light malt extract to it?), like you get in commercial raspberry beers. Dont get me wrong, its interesting - you get a nice "bitterness" from the raspberrries, but it truly needs to sit and contemplate what its done for at least 6 months, not 3. It truly is a naughty beer.

Owl.

Comment

Ohhh the perfect oak cube. I dream of the perfect oak cube . . .

Hang on . . Jedi mind trick! No! no! no!

I digress . ..

Diabolo is truly excellent - nice and light (although it is 8%!!): a "Duvel" clone, if you will (though some say its not, it is . .)

Abbey is brilliant - nice and dark. A nice winter belgian ale. Like "Chimay". (and will put you on the floor . . )

Framboise - i just find it disappointing. I've done it three times now. it doesnt seem to get that nice thick, juicy, almost creamy taste you want from it (although consider adding light malt extract to it?), like you get in commercial raspberry beers. Dont get me wrong, its interesting - you get a nice "bitterness" from the raspberrries, but it truly needs to sit and contemplate what its done for at least 6 months, not 3. It truly is a naughty beer.

Owl.
                    I'll be trying the abbey and diablo then but no raspberry for me. I always find that 'berry' flavoured beers and ciders always dissapoint.

Comment

• Just cracked open a chilled framboise to "reflect" on our conversation earlier. Well, the cricket is on, so i thought why not?!

Its coming up to 5 months old now, as has really mellowed in character. There's a lot of gas - so a careful and very slow pour; lots of head. A nice fruity nose, but only subtle fruitiness mind you.

The bitterness has rounded and the sweatness - almost creaminess (but the body comes from the alchohol, not the malt) comes back through. The real quality i think in this beer is the pleasant aftertaste of raspberries and an almost "sherbet" like zing on the tongue that really does linger after each taste.

So, a pleasant drop indeed if you have the patience to put these bottles away and forget about them for a good 5 months!

I think i will make it again. Brewferm really are quality kits. Reprieved!

Owl.

Comment

Just cracked open a chilled framboise to "reflect" on our conversation earlier. Well, the cricket is on, so i thought why not?!

Its coming up to 5 months old now, as has really mellowed in character. There's a lot of gas - so a careful and very slow pour; lots of head. A nice fruity nose, but only subtle fruitiness mind you.

The bitterness has rounded and the sweatness - almost creaminess (but the body comes from the alchohol, not the malt) comes back through. The real quality i think in this beer is the pleasant aftertaste of raspberries and an almost "sherbet" like zing on the tongue that really does linger after each taste.

So, a pleasant drop indeed if you have the patience to put these bottles away and forget about them for a good 5 months!

I think i will make it again. Brewferm really are quality kits. Reprieved!

Owl.

I might give it a try then after the other two Although 5 months will be a task. I'm getting more patient as I get older...Thankfully

Comment

• Started a 6 bottle Beaverdale Californian White with D47 yeast, as an experiment.
                          Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• I have started two gallons of wine today, it's fermenting already

Comment

• Racked some wine today, and cleaned up a bit.

Comment

• Bottled all my Ponte open show entries
                                N.G.W.B.J.
                                Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                                Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
                                X