Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• i've never used amylase in my parsnip wines, it always clears and it isn't sweet from residual or unfermented sugars, gravity drops low too. i dont know what starch would taste like in the wine but probably isnt a good thing. then again if it clears its pretty unlikely to have much starch in it.. perhaps being careful not to overcook the parsnips helps to prevent starches being released that would need amylase? like pectolase tho i suspect it wont do any harm to add it if its not needed.
    To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
    A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• SG Checks today (yes, already. It's fun having a 2yr old alarm clock!!) Got a couple ready to rack/degass.
      The cool ferment Lychee is still blooping away, down to 1.050 in a week with 1118 yeast, about 12°C average. Suppose for a proper experiment I should have fermented some of the same must in a warm place..
      The Rubicon juice lychee does indeed have a good froth on top, which I've stirred in.

Comment

• I absolutely, positively must rack some Sauvignon Blanc today, since it finished fermentation about 3 days ago.

The barrels also require topping up (I should stop sneaking tastes).
        Steve

Comment

• Started the pa**nip
          Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Originally posted by NorthernWiner View Post
            I absolutely, positively must rack some Sauvignon Blanc today, since it finished fermentation about 3 days ago.

The barrels also require topping up (I should stop sneaking tastes).
            Yeah, stop sneaking tastes ... send them to us instead!
            “Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!”
            Groucho Marx

Comment

• Do you know, I've finally bought some lychee juice. I was in Lidl and I didn't know what colour it was . I needed to know so I knew which colour grape juice to buy.

Now, before you all start, I couldn't consult WaH because I was in the middle of Lidl. I suppose I should have been prepared but it has been iutyqwehugk years since I was in the Boy Scouts. Yes, when I was a boy we all used to join the cubs and then the scouts. The things we lads went through to impress the girls with our badges!

Even mrs.wisp was a Brownie [don't get excited NW, it isn't a cake ] and was flown up to a girl guide/ranger. Yes, even today we still discuss those days and she says she was a ranger and I say I was a scout so she tells me to go and hunt a chicken; well, I think that's what she says!!!

I asked the staff and they said red. Security agreed. Knowing you guys, however, I wasn't sure. I eventually opened the carton after promising to buy it and it was clear. I have never seen so many people move away so fast.

YOU LOT DID NOT WARN ME ABOUT HOW BAD THE STUFF SMELLS!!

Groucho Marx

Comment

• Bottling a gallon of my first wine number 1, a pineapple version.
                To most people solutions mean answers. To chemists solutions are things that are mixed up.
                A fine wine is a fine wine, 1st time may be by accident, 2nd time is by design - that's why you keep notes.

Comment

• Given your personal hygeine I'm sure lychee juice is fragrant
                  Groucho Marx

Comment

• Originally posted by wisp View Post
                    Even mrs.wisp was a Brownie [don't get excited NW, it isn't a cake ]
                    Ha ha... for the record, my daughter was a brownie and girl scout, too.
                    Steve

Comment

• I knew he'd say that!
                      Groucho Marx

Comment

• Transferred 5 gallons of Greengage to secondary. Racked some 1 gals, general cleaning.
                        With Grape flavour comes grape responsibility

Comment

• racking, degassing and stabilising the 3 gallon pomegranate version of wine number 1

Comment

• I sooooo need to sort out some stuff
                            Maybe tomorrow I will get something done .......
                            Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

• Choc Rasp Port is fermenting, but a bit slowly. Gave it a damned good thrashing to show it who is boss.

Ditto parsnip.

EDIT: If you have visions of me beating the fermenter with a tree branch, a la Basil Fawlty, this isn't quite the case. I gave the must a good stir, trying to introduce a bit of air, so the yeast has a bit more oxygen to work with. Sorry to disappoint
                              Last edited by goldseal; 24-03-2010, 12:07 AM.
                              Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Woooo is me

Racked my number one, that I started at the begining of Feb
                                And the chuffing end broke off the degassery thingy

Ahhh well ...
                                I also racked my blackbery and elderberry

I need to rack/degass my pinot grigio......
                                But now need to get a new whizz stick

I need to find my wine making mojo again
                                I have lost it for a few whiles
                                Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

Working...
                                X