Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by haggis@home View Post
    i am looking forward to trying the wine No1
    You definately wont be disappointed... by either wine No1 or wine No2..
    Both are great tasting, and they provide good experience for you getting to make your own strawberry wine. I quite fancy trying to make a strawberry wine myself this year.

Oh.. and welcome, by the way
    Insecure people try to make you feel smaller.

Confident people love to see you walk taller

Comment

• Hello everyone.

I'm from Kent, UK and started brewing beer from kits at the beginning of this year when my housemate brought me a Young's starter kit.
      Since then I have acquired some more bits and probably have about 100 pints of beer in the cellar My housemates haven't complained yet about the smell of brewing or the space I'm taking up!

Now I want to dabble in wine making, I only have one Demijohn, but in the last month or so I have managed to get three lots of wine on the go. Thanks to cheap Sainsbury bottled water.

Even though I have just joined I have already learnt a lot from these forums, cheers!

Comment

• Hi
        and welcome aboard.....

happy brewing
        regards
        bob
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Hey Mighty, welcome to the group. These guys are awesome and can tell you anything you need to know.

Whereabouts in Kent are you? I'm based in Canterbury myself

Comment

• Hello MightyDrunken & Katjie and welcome to both of you...........hey not 100% sure but along with Ian that might make 4 of us from Kent

I'am based in Chatham and have learnt a great deal from the forums as well as being made welcomed

Comment

• Hi,

Last year thought that I would take up a lifelong yearning to mix chemistry, art and growing stuff and make wine. Basingstoke is awash with elderberries, sloes and other delights so I have some eldeberry, sloe and raisin and some blends of both going based on a combination of CJJ Berry and Whytes Home Brew recipes.
              I'd love to discuss how this is going with anyone who would like to comapre notes on this.

By the way this is the first forum I have ever joined so bear with me but browsing through this seems like a great place. Look forward to meeting you and taking on some new recipes this year. Elderflower perhaps??

Simon
              Simon
              "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

• Hi Simon, what a wonderful start you have. As you are browsing around you'll learn alot, no doubt. This is a fun place.
                Hootus est

Comment

• Hi Simon
                  welcome aboard our humble abode, you appear to have gotten off to a good start.

The CJJ Berry recipes?
                  well the book is a great guide to what you can ferment at what time of year, but a word of caution on the amount of sugar quoted in his recipes. Use your (buy one if you dont have one) Hydrometer to measure the amount of sugar you add, and make your stratin g point 1.080.

If you dont have a hydrometer (tsk tsk...for it is your friend ) reduce the sugar he asks for by around 1/2lb per gallon.

hope this helps
                  regards
                  Bob
                  N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Katjie I'm born and bred in Maidstone, Canterbury is good place (if not nicer).

Hi Simon!
                    I took a chemistry degree a few years back based on my teenage curiosity into science, explosives and drugs

I will be bottling my first batch of wine in a few hours but I'm still awake I'm a nerd.

Comment

• Hi Bob,

Yep I have a Hydrometer. Problem is I got it about a week after the yeast had started munching the must. Have measured every SG drop since then so the elderberry on its own is still around 10 but dropping verrrry slowly.. The sloe is at 0 and very dry (taste). Feels quite high in alcohol but as a result now I have no idea of true alcohol content i.e what the drop in that first 7 days was.

Sort of learning the theory after the practice, glad that we don't learn to drive that way!
                      Simon
                      "I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret." - Basil Fawlty

Comment

• Me too

I train Driving instructors1
                        N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Hi Si and Mighty

Comment

• I'm a newbie

I live in West Oxfordshire, well Witney if anyone knows it? have been brewing for a couple of months now, mostly kit beers, I've also done a few Turbo Ciders, so am keen to learn more, my aim is to experiment a little! hopefully without poisoning myself or anyone else?

Comment

• Hi there Billy....try some supermarket juice recipes they are surprisingly good!!!
                              Alcohol causes you to forget things, and some other stuff I don't remember!

Comment

• Hi Billynomates, welcome

Comment

Working...
                                X