No announcement yet.

Introduce Yourselves here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Spud, welcome to the house of fun!!!
    National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

• Hi Spud! Commence the quiz! We live for it!

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

• Hey, thanks for the warm welcome. The first kit I made was a 6 bottle black cherry Pinot Grigio, and it turned out really nice! I bottled up a 30 bottle kit of Rioja last weekend and tbh it tastes like it might remove paint. Here's looking forward to the aging proccess I have 6 bottles of Beaverdale Rioja to bottle up this weekend too. I am planning on getting another of the 30 bottle kits as it was only £18 delivered and then buying some flavourings and aging that in 1 gallon batches.

Like I say though, I really want to make a gallon of sparkling rose soon. I assume I can get a rose kit, but exactly how do I 'sparkle' it? Is it fermented under pressure, or do I add sparkle as I bottle it in a soda stream style thing? Perhaps I can brew some Rose with cartons of grape juice from the supermarkets? It would be nice to make something not from a kit perhaps.

Thanks!
        David
        Wine making noob

Comment

• Well the most important thing to remember when making any form of sparkling wine is to ensure you have bottles that can withhold the pressure ie old sparkling wine, lager bottles etc.

Why not start a new thread under the general winemaking part of the site regarding sparkling wine, I'm sure all your questions will be answered.
          Last edited by Duffbeer; 27-10-2007, 12:25 PM.
          Discount Home Brew Supplies
          Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
          Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
          National Wine Judge
          N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Originally posted by SpudtheBinx View Post
            Hey, thanks for the warm welcome. The first kit I made was a 6 bottle black cherry Pinot Grigio, and it turned out really nice! I bottled up a 30 bottle kit of Rioja last weekend and tbh it tastes like it might remove paint. Here's looking forward to the aging proccess I have 6 bottles of Beaverdale Rioja to bottle up this weekend too. I am planning on getting another of the 30 bottle kits as it was only £18 delivered and then buying some flavourings and aging that in 1 gallon batches.

Like I say though, I really want to make a gallon of sparkling rose soon. I assume I can get a rose kit, but exactly how do I 'sparkle' it? Is it fermented under pressure, or do I add sparkle as I bottle it in a soda stream style thing? Perhaps I can brew some Rose with cartons of grape juice from the supermarkets? It would be nice to make something not from a kit perhaps.

Thanks!

Hi David - this whole sparkling issue is another part of the hobby - quite complicated at times and when doing it we must insure safety - we do not want wine bombs going off all over our newly laid carpet? Anyway when you choose the rose kit that you intend to make post the starting information in the Kit Wine section and we will take it from there. Also, check out the Internet - lots of information there but some quite complicated. Cheers DAW

Comment

• Simultanious post Daw ?
              National Wine Judge
              N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Originally posted by SpudtheBinx View Post
                I have 6 bottles of Beaverdale Rioja to bottle up this weekend too.
                I have 5 gallons of this clearing now, I have made 1 gal batches before, cracking stuff!
                National Wine Judge NGWBJ

Secretary of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Society

My friends would think I was a nut, turning water into wine....... Lyrics from Solsbury hill by Peter Gabriel

Member of THE newest wine circle in Yorkshire!!

Comment

• Hello everyone!

I just ran across this sight thanks to a link in one of Hippies old posts,on another forum so Here I am! I have been making wine and beer for 20+ years,and make other stuff too.I just thought I would join in.
                  lockdude

Comment

• Welcome Lockdude, enjoy your stay.
                    National Wine Judge
                    N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

• Hi lockdude

welcome aboard
                      regards
                      Bob
                      N.G.W.B.J.
                      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Hiya, you're very welcome. Any friend of Hippie's is a friend of ours.
                        Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

• Well......my Mother is a Hoosier so......alright!

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

• Cheers - Welcome to the forum. DAW

Comment

• Reporting for duty!

Shifted brain dump to new thread ...
                              Last edited by curlyk; 30-10-2007, 01:23 PM. Reason: Err, shifting brain dump to new thread ...???

Comment

• Reporting for Duty!

Hi,

I jumped in yesterday posing a question about strawberry melomel without first introducing myself here ... (oops!) ... although you will also find me on www.homewinemaking.co.uk

The boring bit: Took up wine making late 80's, early 90's, first with kits then real ingedients. Those were me student days, stopped when I started work due to always travelling and not having any space. The only thing I tried to make every year was elderflower champagne ...

The girlfriend encouraged me to start it up again this year, and is now regretting it seeing as how the kitchen has been turned into a laboratory :-)

So, what's on the go? In the cellar busy maturing there's strawberry, blackberry wine, blackberry melomel, blueberry, elderberry and bean (from CJJ Berry), Mango, Peach Melba (my own recipe, peach and raspberry - if any good, I'll post it), some sort of port, elderflower, apricot and a few kits (not very good). Bubbling away in the lab, err kitchen: more blackberry wine, a blackberry port, 2 mixed fruit melomels, peach and ginger melomel, a straight mead, an experiment in chocolate mint wine (!) and a partridge in a pear tree.

I'm only interested in making country wines - I don't bother with grape wines when I can buy an excellent Australian Shiraz for not much at all.

Home winemaking here in Germany isn't as commonplace as back in the UK - there aren't any physical shops at all that I can find, but I'm becoming aware of more and more online shops. Still, it's a bit restrictive - I'm very jealous of all you who can just 'pop into the shop' to get your bits and pieces.

Ah well, brain dump over,

Cheers,

Keith :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X