X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome aboard Billy,

I see Pete has already helped with the plum wine

the hardest lessons in winemaking are patience, and learning not to panic

they both take a long time ti learn, but fear not, help is always near to hand

regards
    Bob
    N.G.W.B.J.
    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Hi newbi here look forward to geting info on traditional hedgerow wines ,but loging out due to shop bought stuff kicking in night-night D.D.

Comment

• Welcome, derbyduck
        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Hi there

I've just started on this glorious hobby and found you while scouring the web for info

I've got some blackberry currently bubbling away...my first... and, on a trip to the local shop, discovered dried elderflowers, so had to have a go at that too And, on exploring the newbies board, found the supermarket juice recipes...well I've got to try that as well, haven't I? Another shopping trip tomorrow, methinks

Why did nobody tell me how addictive this was going to be? OH thinks I've lost the plot....

Gaile

Comment

• Welcome aboard....

The OH won't think you are so crazy when they are drinking the yum scrum product of your new hobby!

regards
            bob
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Thank you I've learned so much already browsing the forum, but feel like I've only just scratched the surface

I did point that out to him and he just gave me a dubious look....I can quite happily wait to say I told you so

Comment

• Hello fellow wine makers.

Many thanks for the welcome message & guidelines,i'm quite new to forums so any mistakes I make I apologise for in advance should I post in the wrong place.
                I have made wine many years ago but I am now wishing to 'start over' as I have now realised i'd like to re-kindle the hobby. I had a few successes & plenty of failures but this time I hope to be more successful as we are blessed with the aid of the internet for advice from those whom I undoubtedly will need.
                Once again thanks for the welcome.

Comment

• Hi Windflower!

Get going with the brewing; you wont regret it. Its addictive.
                  A day without wine is a day without sunshine!

Comment

• Introducing Myself

Hi
                    I'm Paul in Ulverston, South Lakes.
                    I have been making hedgerow wines for a couple of years with varying success. I only dabble and maybe do a gallon a month or so. I did a great nettle wine and currently have a rose petal on the go.
                    This site is better than nay book on the subject and thanks to Bob for all his hard work in putting it together and keeping it going.

Comment

• Many thanks for your welcome message & I can't wait to get slurping...................
                      ..........And yes,a day without wine is indeed a day without sunshine. :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Windflower View Post
                        ..........And yes,a day without wine is indeed a day without sunshine. :-)
                        ... but sometimes a day without wine is just what you need after two wine-soaked evenings

Welcome aboard Windflower and Paul.
                        Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Originally posted by goldseal View Post
                          ... but sometimes a day without wine is just what you need after two wine-soaked evenings

Lightweight......get some practice in....Grapefest looms large
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Fear and loathing in the garden shed.

Hello,
                            I am Leon, from Conwy in North Wales and I'm currently nursing my first home brewed hangover, the term self inflicted has never been more apt. That was a red wine kit I bought from the local hardware shop, then a friend of mine, who is also entering the winemaking pastime, told me about this site. I was motivated to start winemaking by thriftiness and gardening, I have started growing fruit and veg in our back garden and thought it would be nice to make wine out of the crops. Also, me and she who must be obeyed, drink an unhealthy amount of wine which is having detrimental effects to both our health and our bank account. So I thought I'd make my own. Currently I have two of the #1 wines, one with apple juice and one with just white grape juice; and two #2s, one with blueberry juice and one with cranberry juice drink. I've also got a bin of #3 wine with apple fermenting away. SWMBO complains the 'blooping' noise is keeping her awake.
                            My main worry is how we're going to self ration ourselves with an unlimited supply, any ideas?

Comment

• Originally posted by Leon View Post
                              My main worry is how we're going to self ration ourselves with an unlimited supply, any ideas?

Yikes!

if you find out, there are lots of people on here searching for that answer

welcome aboard Leon, wine #1 will not dissapoint.

regards
                              bob
                              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Hi,

My name is James and I have joined this site to make some lovely wine some of which which hopefully be made from produce grown in my own garden.

I have read through the intro recipes and my first effort, the dry white wine is currently fermenting in the kitchen. The bubbling sound is very relaxing. It sure does smell nice so far. The OG only came out at 1.060 but I think that is because the sugar didn't completely dissolve in the boiling water and a lot of it sank to the bottom of the demi-john. I'm hoping that the sugar will still ferment out.

I have been brewing my own beer for a couple of years and fancy branching out into other brews. Wine seems to be far less messy than beer and nowhere near as time-consuming.

Right, while this one if bubbling away, I might try my hand at some turbo cider.

Off to read the forums.

Cheers,

James.

Comment

Working...
                                X