• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welcome aboard James.
    Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Hello there everybody

this is a really great forum and I am happy to be able to involve myself a little bit into discussions here

I am quite new to trying to make my own wines - I am actually a complete newbie though I love wines and I love talking about wine and its taste and the meal it fits perfectly too and everything connected to the perfect taste.

My most favorite wines are the Shiraz (I prefer the Australian) and Rioja (mostly Italian) but still I am very keen on trying out a lot of new sorts and above all on trying them out by myself

Cheers,
      Ronald

Comment

• Hi Ronald, welcome to WAH, pull up a chair
        Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Hi

Hi,
          Matt here. Been reading a lot, done a couple of kits, got a #1 on the go and about to start a batch from the apples in my garden.

Got some questions so hope you can help.

Cheers,
          Smiggs

Comment

• Welcome one and all

answers to questions might be slow today....

Grapefest was yesterday, so a lot of peeps will be either travelling home or nursing hangovers, it was at my house so I am not travelling, but am nursing a fairly severe sore throat from singing and making duck noises (there will be a video explaining this available soon) and a sore head of epic proportions

regards
            Bob
            N.G.W.B.J.
            Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
            Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Hello,

Great site, been finding my way around for the last few days. Got strawberry wine going at the moment from a CJJ Berry recipe but not sure how it will turn out (first time nerves). Some excellent advice on here, looking forward to trying out Wine #1 and taking it from there.

Cheers, Matt

Comment

• Welcome Matt,

wine No1 will not dissapoint

regards
                Bob
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Hil, hope I'm putting this in the right place??? I'm Jenny and I've made wine before many years ago (21 to be exact), mainly hedgerow stuff and some from fruit juice; some turned out ok and some was too revolting to mention. My long forgotten hobby was rekindled recently when a new home brew shop opened up nearby. I decided to venture in one day and ended up with a 7 day wine kit for 30 bottles of pinot grigio!

I found this site when I suddenly got a bit nervous at the prospect of wrecking 30 bottles of wine and decided I'd better do some research. I've been engrossed for weeks now and have 2 dj's of wine #1 and 1 of #2 on the go already. Wine # 2 must be dry as a bone by now but doesn't seem to want to stop! I used vintners harvest MA33 for wine # 1 which says it mellows out the malic acid but has a slow late ferment - they're not kidding!! It's good for my patience though!

This site is great and I've really enjoyed reading and learning (whilst imbibing the pinot grigio, which didn't turn out bad at all). Thanks for all your hard work and brilliant tutorials

Comment

• Welcome aboard Jenny

good to have you here

regards
                    bob
                    N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Eyup

Good Morning.

I'm Reg from Leeds Yorkshire, a full time dad, part-time engineer and once-upon-a-time hedgerow brewer (that fearnley-whittingstall fella made it sound easy!)

Found this well presented forum in my search for applebrew answers and leapt straight in last night with this post
                      From homewinemaking.co.uk Well this is as easy as it gets! (called turbo as its so quick and easy) Ingredients: 4.5L of pure apple juice 1tsp yeast Method: 1. Place 3L of apple juice into a demijon (assumeing everything is sterile) 2. PLace 1tsp of yeast into the demijon 3. shake 4. leave for 36-48hrs to ferment

Glad to be here - Looking forward to having a mooch around - And hoping that some kind soul may have a little advise to offer regarding my attempted adhoc apple & ginger brew..

Comment

• Hi just discovered this site a few weeks ago and wouldn't dare do anything until I had a wine number one on the way. Just a week and its still bubbling virgerously (made 5 gallons the juice was inexpensive and why waste a yeast packet on a gallon and everyone here has faith in it !) My intro back to wine making was a Beaverdale Pinot Grigio and I must abmit it was good after 3 months but it's all gone now
                        I've got Beaverdale White burgandy, Merlot and another Pinot Grigio bottled A Cal-Con Savignon Blanc bottled and a Barolo bulk ageing. (All made as per instructions)
                        And my wine number 1 and another White burgandy from Beaverdale but with Lavin K1V So it will be nice to compare in 3 or 4 months with the kit yeast with the lavin brew.
                        I did do a Cantina Pinot Grigio but it had a strange after taste best described as bit wine gummy.
                        And.........my HBS managed to get me onto some beer kits too
                        Life would be better if I could brew it as fast as we drink it!

Comment

• Introduce myself

Hi all,

Started reading "Wines at home" and was inspired to start wine making after a 20 year holiday!

I still can't believe how much its changed over that period, I remember either kit based or wading through vast amounts of damsons or elderberries. De-stoning and de-stemming used to give me nightmares.

I have just made a Beaverdale Sauvignon Blanc to get my eye in again and am looking forward to a no 1 wine thereafter.

Cheers

Comment

• Welcome aboard RPTFUN and TTFx
                            Pete the Instructor

Comment

• Welcome one and all

regards
                              bob
                              N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Hi all
                                Started making wine in about 99 for a self help group I was hosting. Started of with a red wine which they loved, then, white, apple, saki, blackcherry, orange, carrot.... now pineapple, cranberry, tropical, elderflower, guava rosehip and ros'e.
                                Only make in 5gallon lots and usally have about 40gallons in stock.

But always willing to learn and improve which is why I joined here.....

Comment

Working...
                                X