Introduce Yourselves here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
    I think it's almost impossible to go wrong with blackberries (brambles) and they are freely available in just about every hedgerow in Great Britain.

Look out also for Elderberries, they make yummy wine, but it requires a bit of aging to become really good.

regards
    Bob
    Blackberries are a bit of a bugger to pick, so I probably won't try that, but I've been planning my assault on local elderberry bushes for quite some time.

Sure I know that most of the obvious bushes tend to be on the roadside but I've even sussed out where I can find some that aren't too close to a couple of quiet roads - that have parking for at least the car (theres a couple that even have enough room to park my truck i.e. a tractor and trailer ).

A recent check has confirmed that despite the recent crappy weather, they are starting to "size up" i.e. they're currently at the 2/3 mm size, still green, but the stalks are taking on the familiar "purpley blue" as the fruit size gathers pace.

Somewhat excellent that theres a mountain of recipes here for me to pick from as well.

Bonus.

regards

fatbloke
    Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

Some blog ramblings

Comment

• Hi, I'm Ben, a 19 year old student. I have my first two batches of wine on the go at the moment - a quick piesporter kit and a chardonnay kit. As soon as I get a free demijohn I'll get some of that turbo cider everyone seems to rave over brewing up. My aim is to brew all of my own alcohol so I don't have to buy any. Hopefully it will taste better too.

Comment

• Hi Ben and welcome

what are you studying, and where are you studying it, if you don't mind me asking?

regards
        Bob
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Welcome Ben. Just be careful with that Turbo cider, I made some that was certain brain death and that will be no good to you while you're studying!
          Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

• Originally posted by lockwood1956 View Post
            Hi Ben and welcome

what are you studying, and where are you studying it, if you don't mind me asking?

regards
            Bob
            Electronic Engineering at Southampton.

Comment

• hi, iam mark i live in wales been making larger out of a tin, good stuff lol, ive been reading about the famous turbo cider hoping to start it this weekend all the best
              speak soon :

Comment

• YAY!
                welcome Mark, pleased we got it working for you
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Hi Mark and welcome. Where in Wales do you come from?
                  Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

• Originally posted by Mamgiowl View Post
                    Hi Mark and welcome. Where in Wales do you come from?
                    hi,mamgiowl iam from south wales the rhondda valleys

Comment

• Land of Brains bitter too I think

thats dangerous stuff that brains beer.
                      N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Hi

Hi, im bex im currently living in aberdeen at university but im from edinburgh. i'v made a few wine kits and found them pretty easy now i want to expand a wee bit. problem is iv got a ridiculously small shared kitchen so i was thinkin of making wine from juice. can i use other high juices with the same recipe as the ribena wine?

Comment

• Hi Bex

Welcome aboard, hope you enjoy your stay.

If you look in the recipe thread you will find one listed as supermarket juices, just be careful to avoid ones that contain preservatives if you can (pottassium sorbate) it's not the end of the world if you can't get them preservative free as you can drive them off using heat. But no preservative 100% juice is best.

regards
                          Bob
                          N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• Here it is

N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

• so that'll work for all cartons of juice right? what about high juices? i've got a couple of bottles at the mo(they were 3 for 2) they are only 50% fruit will they work with the ribena recipe?

Comment

• hi guys, new here too from Canada...i have played around with brewing beer a bit in the past, but not much experience.

my family is Italian, so i always watched my grandfather and uncle make wine and helped them out. ive been asking my gramps a lot of questions and i look forward to trying some of his recipes. his wine is very simple to make and VERY strong lol

just started my first batch of turbo cider, to get a feel for the fermentation process and all the steps..everything seems to be going fine

btw in regards to the supermarket juices, will pasteurized juice work?

Comment

Working...
                                X