Introduce Yourselves here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Pete.

I've got a whole sachet Young's Cider Yeast, about a quarter of a sachet of Young's All Purpose White Wine Yeast, and half a small pot of Young's Super Wine Yeast Compound.
    "How demeaning! To be set upon by Tibley Bobley!" - Professor Moriarty

Comment

• I reckon you'd be ok with the Youngs White Wine yeast. 1/4 sachet should be sufficient for a gallon
      Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Thanks Pete. I'll give it a go then

Comment

• i have made this wine with all diffrent types of yest and their are some suttle diffrances it still comes out good . oak it thats a nice touch . wen we going to get spell check on this site its a struggle after 9pm

Comment

• Young's all purpose white is what I've got so I'll try that first. If that turns out okay, I'll experiment with some others. Makes me feel like an scientist... a chemist... hope nothing explodes!

You made me click the spell check button there. I see what you mean. You'd have to download it. Oh well. You didn't really need one, did you

Comment

• Well, I've set it a-going. For the apple juice I used 8 apples that were cleaned, wrapped individually in newspaper and stored in a cold place back in November... stuck 'em in a freezer for a couple of days, defrosted and crushed the juice out of 'em in a nylon straining cloth. Added a splash of Campden and a some of pectolase yesterday. Added the rest of the ingredients today. Short of an empty demijohn so it's in a 5-litre honey-bucket with an airlock.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tibley Bobley View Post
                so it's in a 5-litre honey-bucket with an airlock.
                Should be fine provided you sanitised it first. Is there a bit of headspace above the liquid? It'll need it for the first part of fermentation. Once it gets down to 1.010 ish you'll need to get it in a DJ to eliminate that air.
                Pete the Instructor

It looks like Phil Donahue throwing up into a tuba

Comment

• Yes, I gave it a good wash, Pete. And just to be sure, I gave it a swill round with some dissolved Campden tab solution. There's a bit of room at the top, but not very much (maybe a couple of millimetres between the bottom of the airlock and the liquid)... how much would be idea? I should have a spare dj soon. The local Co-op is selling spring water in 5-litre blue-tinted PET djs - just like the ones you buy for wine, only with this slight blueness - I suppose it's to block the uv light from the water... possibly. Anyway, they're about half the price of the ones from the brew suppliers and you get a gallon of spring water thrown in free

Comment

• Guys.....

this is the "introduce yourselves here" thread....

please would you ask questions either in the "questions on the new winemaker series" thread, or in "general winemaking", keeps everything tidy

many thanks
                    regards
                    Bob
                    N.G.W.B.J.
                    Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                    Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Oops!

Sorry, Bob!

<blush>

Comment

• Hi ,Im Matt and live in the Bedford area of the UK, and have decided to give winemaking a go!!

Im a complete newbie(used to brew ale many moons ago, but never wine) so need to invest in all new gear.

What is the cost of startup to make some decent quality wine of around 11% ABV red wine?(not looking for a chateau neuf du pape yet, more the 3-for-12 type you find in tesco-on the other hand not the 'orrible ribena tasting english wines that tesco sell either)

Is ebay the place to look as I would think a lot of peeps give up if the first batch comes out wrong.

Regards

Matt

p.s. sorry Bob, just noticed your post-will repost in correct forum- just trying to kill 2 birds etc

Comment

• haha

its ok, you will all find your way around eventually

welcome aboard

regards

bob
                          N.G.W.B.J.
                          Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
                          Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

• Hi Folks
                            Names Dave made my last batch of wine 30 years ago, and worship at the feet of the great god Bacchus, for the gift he has bestowed.
                            Looking forward to absorbing the knowledge of fellow members, and enjoying a glass or two.
                            dave

Comment

• Welcome Dave!

Check out the new wine makers start here forum which has the new wine makers series of wines in, #1 is a great quick drinking wine to be getting on with

Cheers,

Rich

Comment

• Hi, I'm Claire, and I have just moved over from the-online-homebrew-forum.co.uk (ex brew-it-yourself) which has gone bust. Not that I'm surprised, but the forum was a good one. I've been making wine and beer since the 1980s but I love to hear from others, and I still feel I am learning all the time.
                                Brewing: Black Rock Cider, Milestone Olde Home Wrecker, port wines
                                Conditioning: Oranje Bock Bier, about 30 demijohns of wine of various types
                                Drinking: Steam Beer, Czech Pilsner, Dark Ale, lots of wine, Moonshine

Comment

Working...
                                X