No announcement yet.

Nylon Straining Bags

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I certainly plan on reusing my straining bag, infact it was/still is my grain bag for brewing beer as well.

The trouble with using bleach to sanitise is that it isn't very effective on organic matter and as has been pointed out a grain/pulp bag has the potential to harbour a certain anount of organic matter no matter how well you clean it.

The way I intend to clean the bag is to soak in a generic brand unscented oxyclean such as Wizz Oxy http://www.ciao.co.uk/Wizz_Oxi_Ultra...mover__5644696 which is similar to the chemipro stuff I believe (sodium percarbonate) but a 1kg tub costs about around £2 in my local hardware shop and i'm told can be bought in the pound shop for.... hmmm I forget the price

To sanitise it I will boil it in a pan on the stove for 10 mins (although in the past i've chucked it in the elecy kettle), it survives the ordeal and works perfectly well and the heat sanitises regardless of organic matter. There's no danger of off flavours from not rinsing properly either...

Just my 2 penneth worth

(fwiw the stuff in the link may be scented as the unscented stuff I use comes in a slightly different tub, it is important to use the unscented stuff for obvious reasons)
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Daft as a Brush View Post
      The way I intend to clean the bag is to soak in a generic brand unscented oxyclean such as Wizz Oxy http://www.ciao.co.uk/Wizz_Oxi_Ultra...mover__5644696 which is similar to the chemipro stuff I believe (sodium percarbonate) but a 1kg tub costs about around £2 in my local hardware shop and i'm told can be bought in the pound shop for.... hmmm I forget the price

hmm
      yes sodium percarbonate is right.....£1 eh?

great tip cheers DAAB

regards
      Bob
      N.G.W.B.J.
      Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
      Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

Working...
      X