No announcement yet.

Strawberry wine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Perhaps try sweetening it slightly? Also if it is the seeds causing this it'd probably be really easy to push the strawberries through a fine sieve before using them.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramsys View Post
      I have made some tinned strawberry wine. It finished secondary on sunday. As i was racking it off the lee's i got a mouthfull, and found the wine to be very bitter.
      Now, i liquidised the strawberries and have read somewhere that the seeds could cause problems in the wine if left in the primary for too long. Would this be the cause of the bitter taste as i smooshed them in the liquidiser?
      Is there a way to fix it or am i better starting again?
      More than likely it has shattered the seeds, which will for sure cause the bitterness. Sweetening will help but you still may find it in the aftertaste.
      Discount Home Brew Supplies
      Chairman of 5 Towns Wine & Beer Makers Circle!
      Convenor of Judges YFAWB Show Committee
      National Wine Judge
      N.G.W.B.J Member

Comment

I almost always find strawberry wine to be just a tad bitter right after fermentation. No matter how careful you are about not breaking pips or getting the pulp out of the wine in a reasonable amount of time, it seems like you will always pick up some bitterness from the abundance of tiny seeds. The good news is that, just like grape wine, the tannin will integrate and be less noticeable after a period of aging. Depending on how pronounced the bitterness is, that could take 6 months, or it could take a year.

Another thought. If it's real bitter, you might also try fining it with gelatin. I've never tried that technique on a non-grape wine, though.
        Steve

Comment

Also, there are no hard rules on leaving fruit in the must. Take it out sooner, or ferment juice only.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

I agree that it was probably blitzing the fruit which caused the bitterness, but wonder why you needed to? With tinned strawberries you could have just squidged them up be hand or passed them through a seive, which would have had the added bonus of taking out the pips anyway.
            Let's party

AKA Brunehilda - Last of the Valkaries

Comment

Yeah, Im going to make another batch and ill put them through a seive as suggested by you kind folk. I have a tinned peach which ive smooshed as well...........that should be fine though as no stones/pips.

Comment

Working...
              X