has this gone bad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• has this gone bad

I started a batch of peach wine, 5 gallons, on 1 August, it is on the left.

The second batch of peach wine, 5 gallons, was begun on 30 August.

Both were ferment to dry, and test low for acid.

On 3 October, I added 2 liters of the original juice to the first batch, pictured on left.

I'm not sure how things should look, but the wine on the left tastes horrible! I was testing things and getting ready to bottle this weekend. I suspect my first batch of peach wine has oxidized. The acid tests at about 4.5%, SG is .992

I seek input from the Masters!
    Attached Files

The 1 on left doesn't look like peach wine. Are they both degassed well ? If there wasn't anything added to the first one to give it a darker color, it may well be oxidized because it is not a peach wine color.

REBEL MODERATOR

...lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

Comment

degassed

Yes, I have one of the long spinning tools that attach to a drill. I degassed the time I racked it, which included adding the original juice back in, I was thinking of trying to sweeten it and see if that helps, the juice was definitely not dark when I added that.

Comment

Sweetening will likely help as Glenvall says.

What does it taste like?

caramel?
        toast?
        burnt?
        sherry?
        N.G.W.B.J.
        Member of 5 Towns Wine and Beer Makers Society (Yorkshire's newest)
        Wine, mead and beer maker

Comment

taste

It tastes like it has a lot of acid, very - very dry which I could be confusing as acid. But perhaps I could make a comparison to a sherry.

Comment

Dilute it somewhat (in the glass) this will reduce the acid level, try also sweetening and see if this helps, as this will counteract the acid.

regards
            bob
            N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

blending

would it be advisable to blend the weaker peach wine with the darker?

Comment

No.....

nmot till you establish what the problem is, if it is oxidised, then you are simply creating a bigger batch of oxidised wine...(although diluting it somewhat)
                N.G.W.B.J.

Comment

The sugar did the trick

That was just amazing, it must have been so dry as to cause me to pucker. I added only 4 oz. of sugar and the taste changed dramatically and I could actually smell the peach.

Thanks all, I need a little more trust in letting Mother Nature work with only minimal work from me.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                  X